This week’s Fabulous Friday cake could not me more appropriate. This weekend, anxious fans everywhere will flock to theaters to see what their favorite NYC girls are up to in the new Sex and the City 2 movie. And today’s fabulous cake was created for a SATC themed Food Network Challenge. If you aren’t familiar with the Food Network cake challenge shows, they are an intense 8 hour competition where the country’s best cake designers push themselves to the limit, creating extravagant cakes that would normally take days to create. All in front of a live audience, with a camera in their face! Honestly, talk about the heat of the kitchen!
Today I’m thrilled to share my favorite cake design from the competition! Michelle Bommarito, a talented cake designer from Detroit, created a cake based on Carrie Bradshaw’s character. Entitled “Mrs. Big”, this cake is truly fabulous and definitely all about Carrie.
- Shopping Bag: Represents Carrie and the girl’s love of shopping
- Chrysler Building: Iconic building in Manhattan, the playground for Sex and the City. Plus Carrie refers to Mr. Big as the Chrysler Building when he is moving to Napa Valley saying “You cannot leave New York…you are the Chrysler Building, the Chrysler Building would be all wrong in the vineyards.”
- Laptop: As we all know Carrie is a writer and this is how she journals all of her thoughts. In the series, every subject matter of the episode was written across the screen. The laptop screen for our cake design read: GET CARRIED AWAY.
- Royal blue satin shoe with crystal buckle: The first occupant of Carrie’s new closet that Mr. Big designed. At the end of the first movie, when Carrie ran back to get her shoes and saw Mr. Big…the shoe “clinched the deal”. The Royal Blue shoes were also worn at the wedding.
- Martini Glass: The Cosmopolitan was the infamous drink shared by the girls.
- Carrie Necklace: Carrie bought the necklace at a flea market when she first moved to NYC. It was very symbolic and special to her.
- Pink Waistline and tutu: At beginning of each episode, you see Carrie viewing the advertisement of herself on the side of the bus. She is wearing a bubblegum pink spandex top and a white tutu. An iconic and bizarre signature piece of the show.
A very special thanks to Michelle Bommarito for sharing her fabulous Sex and the City cake with us. Be sure to check out more of Michelle’s stunning work on her website. Happy Friday everyone! Enjoy the movie!