Our cupcake contributor, Lauren of Crave. Indulge. Satisfy, is back with another tempting recipe….
This month’s cupcake recipe was inspired after a recent camping trip my husband and I took to celebrate our 5 year anniversary! We pitched a tent, started a fire and roasted marshmallows to create the perfect camping treat…S’mores! I can’t think of a better way to enjoy a night outside under the stars than with this gooey, sticky and messy sandwich cookie. So I have transformed this graham cracker, marshmallow and chocolate combination into a S’mores Cupcake that is super easy and no roasting is involved.
The base of the cupcake is a simple one-bowl chocolate cake. Who doesn’t love a chocolate cupcake? The S’mores factor comes into play with the Marshmallow Cream frosting and graham cracker garnish. Instead of using actual marshmallows in this recipe I decided on a jar of marshmallow cream, which creates a light and fluffy texture. This icing is not overly sweet and pairs nicely with the chocolate and graham crackers. Top off the cupcake with a chocolate square from a Hershey’s bar and you have the ultimate S’mores in cake form!
S’more cupcakes are the pefect treat for a picnic or camping themed party. They are low maintenance and super easy to make so grab your kids and get them involved. I guarantee they will love being your graham cracker crushers and dipping the cupcakes into the crumbs.
(makes 30 cupcakes)
For the cake:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa powder
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup hot water
1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- In bowl of stand mixer combine dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients: eggs, milk, oil, water and vanilla to the dry ingredients. With mixer on medium speed mix for about 2 minutes scrapping down sides of the bowl as needed. (The batter will be very liquidy, but that is ok.)
- Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full. (I use a 4-cup measuring cup with a pour spout to transfer the batter to the cupcake liners so it is easier to control and less mess.)
- Bake for 16-17 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
- Once cupcakes are completely cool, ice with Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting and garnish with graham crackers and chocolate.
For the frosting:
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 (7 oz) jar marshmallow cream
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In bowl of stand mixer cream butter for 1-2 minutes.
- Add marshmallow cream and mix until incorporated.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Place icing in a piping bag fitted with large round tip (I used 1A) and add a dollop of icing on top of cupcakes.
For the garnish:
1/2 cup crushed graham cracker crumbs
3 Hershey’s Bars, broken into squares
- Place graham crackers in zip lock bag and crush with your hands until fine crumbs.
- Take frosted cupcakes and turn upside down into bowl of graham cracker crumbs to cover the frosting.
- Place a Hershey’s chocolate square on top of each cupcake.
S’mores Cupcakes are best enjoyed on the day they are baked and assembled as the graham cracker crumbs will get a little soft over time.
Hope you enjoy!