Recipe: Chocolate Mint Oreo Cupcakes

Our contributor, Lauren Kapeluck of EllenJay Events, is back with a delicious new recipe….

I don’t know about you but one of my favorite sweets as a runner up to cupcakes of course, is Oreos!  My all time favorites are the Double Stuf.  But now there are even more options for the chocolate sandwich cream-filled cookies than when I was a kid…like Berry Burst, Peanut Butter and Cool Mint flavors!  I even saw a new Birthday Flavor with sprinkles in the cream center at the grocery the other day.  Well come to find out Oreo is celebrating their 100th birthday this month!  WOW!  I had no clue Milk’s Favorite Cookie was turning the big 100, and much less the month I planned to do an Oreo themed cupcake.  I must say the timing turned out quite nicely!  So today I’m excited to share with you some delicious Chocolate Mint Oreo Cupcakes.

Mint Oreo Cupcakes | by Lauren Kapeluck for TheCakeBlog.com

This recipe is super simple and doesn’t require a ton of ingredients.  The base of the cake starts with a chocolate box mix, which I’m sure most everyone has on hand in their pantry just in case you need to whip up a cake in a pinch.  Add a few extra ingredients to the mix and you’ve got yourself a cake that tastes like its from scratch!  I always keep a few box cakes on hand just in case I want to save the extra time and measuring of all those ingredients when making a cake.  And if you make the frosting from scratch I guarantee know one will even know the cake was from a box…it can be our little secret!

Mint Oreo Cupcakes | by Lauren Kapeluck for TheCakeBlog.com

The fun thing about Oreos is that they are just the right size to sneak into the bottom of your cupcake liners before adding your cake batter.  The cake bakes up perfectly leaving the Oreo at the bottom of the wrapper so its completely hidden.  It is not until someone takes a bite into the cupcake do they discover the surprise of the cream-filled cookie inside and that extra burst of color from the green Cool Mint!  I must say these go over great with the kids…it’s like they found a hidden treasure inside their cake!
Mint Oreo Cupcakes | by Lauren Kapeluck for TheCakeBlog.com
With all the Oreo flavors these days, this recipe can be easily adapted to suit your flavor cravings! So have fun experimenting with your favorite Oreo flavor.

Mint Oreo Cupcakes | by Lauren Kapeluck for TheCakeBlog.com
CHOCOLATE MINT OREO CUPCAKES
recipe by Lauren Kapeluck
(makes 24 cupcakes)

For the cake:

1 box Devils Food Cake Mix
1 small box (3.9oz) Chocolate Instant Pudding
1 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup milk
24 Cool Mint Oreos

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
  2. Place one Cool Mint Oreo in the bottom of each cupcake liner.
  3. In medium bowl combine cake mix, chocolate pudding, vegetable oil, milk and eggs.
  4. Beat with electric mixer until incorporated and then continue mixing 1-2 minutes.
  5. Scoop batter over top of Oreos in cupcake liner.
  6. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
  7. Let cupcakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
  8. Once cupcakes are completely cool frost with Crushed Oreo Mint Frosting.

For the icing:
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup vegetable shortening
6 cups confectioner’s sugar
3 Tbsp milk
1 tsp mint extract
green food coloring
12 Cool Mint Oreos, crushed

1. In bowl of stand mixer beat butter and vegetable shortening until creamy.
  2. Gradually add in confectioner’s sugar one cup at a time, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
  3. Add milk 1 Tbsp at a time as needed until reach desired consistency.
  4. Add mint extract and a few drops of green food coloring to tint to desired color.
  5. Mix in crushed Oreos.
  6. Place icing in piping bag and snip off tip to create a large hole. Swirl icing on top of cupcakes.
  7. Garnish cupcakes with 1 Cool Mint Oreo cookie on top if desired.

Go pour yourself a tall glass of milk and enjoy a Chocolate Mint Oreo Cupcake! Happy 100th Birthday Oreo!

Lauren Kapeluck , CONTRIBUTOR

Lauren is a monthly contributor for The Cake Blog. She is a self-taught baker and lover of all things sugar. Read more about Lauren on her bio page.

Online Cake Decorating Class

Comments

greg says

The thing with these cupcakes is that have the power of indulgence this is similar to Manetti Battiloro’s food but it can do is indulge and satisfy all kinds of people.

Megan F says

These look amazing!! I am definitely making these on Saturday! Mint and chocolate the perfect combo in my opinion. I just have one question…how will the frosting taste if I use salted butter instead of unsalted? I never buy unsalted butter but maybe I should?
    Thanks for the awesome recipe!!

JenniLynn says

I made these for my office and everyone loved them! By the end of the day, word had spread like wild fire and people from other departments were clamoring for the last few. Thanks for the recipe!

Katie says

How would you alter the frosting recipe if you were just using regular Oreo’s not mint? Would you just replace the mint extract with vanilla? So its a cookies and cream cupcake?

Can’t wait to try!

Holly says

Oh my goodness..you have got to be kidding..this site is going to be dangerous I can tell…….pure yuminess in every recipe! Oh no, this is not good!

Rebecca says

I’m making these now, and using my Debbie Meyer Cupcake Genius pan. That makes a well in the center, to add a “surprise”. I’m using Andes Mints Baking Pieces (1 tsp. per cupcake). Adding those while the cupcakes are still hot, so they’ll melt. Then, I’m using Duncan Hines Frosting Creations in Mint Chocolate for the frosting. I’m sure they’ll be yummy! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

I’m having my Oreos at home right now. They are lying in my bag since I’ve bought them today : ) Okay i cannot wait making them, sou have to tell you I’m really loving your Blog ( of course my friends after the first backing your recipes, too) : ) absolutely delicious ; )

Kim says

Just finished making these, they look great, I did not add any extract. I only found it in peppermint and was too worried it would not taste right, either way, I felt like adding the mint cookies to the icing was just the right amount of mint!!

sarah cooper says

I just finished making the cupcakes. However, I tried to cut into the oreos and they were hard as rocks, did I do something wrong? They were out of mint oreos so I purchased the new Berry Icecream oreos, used a white cake mix and vanilla pudding. They should be yummy still! They sure will look pretty!

Ali Behan says

I would really appreciate it if you could tell me how to NOT have the Oreos stick to the paper liner. I have only made these once before and the Oreos came off with all the liners. It was a bit of an anti-climax :-(. I didn’t use a cake box mix or whatever you call them, I just made up a normal cake batter from scratch. Do I need to put some batter into the liner first and if so what is going to stop it from sinking onto the liner anyway. I’m pretty desperate to make something different than the norm over here. I live in Ireland and the availability of Oreos is limited. We just get the normal brown and white ones. Thanks for any light that you can shed on this :-)

Morgan says

oh my gosh, made these for classmates and gave extra to some body builders i know and they were devoured..So yummy!

Amanda says

I made these recently and they were a HUGE hit. Made with cream cheese mint Oreo frosting and added mint extract to the cupcake batter. Fabulous recipe! Thank you ;)