DIY: Stenciled Lace Tutorial

Stenciled Lace Cake Tutorial  |  by Gateaux Inc  |  TheCakeBlog.com

It’s Friday and we have a fabulous new tutorial for you!  It’s a follow up to yesterday’s Alencon Lace Cake and let’s just say that it’s more than a little dreamy.  Robin Martin, owner of Gateaux Inc., is sharing the secrets behind her incredible lace in a full step-by-step tutorial.  Her approach (and line of cake stencils) is pure genius and will have you creating gorgeous lace detailing with less time and headache.  No more hand tracing lace patterns on to a cake!  It starts with her custom clear acrylic stencil of the lace pattern, a bowl of royal icing, and breezes on from there.   Add some overpiping to accentuate the edges and you have spectacular lace!   If you don’t believe it can be that easy, take a look for yourself!  Create stunning lace with this Stenciled Lace Tutorial!

Stenciled Lace Cake Tutorial  |  by Gateaux Inc  |  TheCakeBlog.com

STENCILED LACE TUTORIAL
a DIY by Robin Martin of Gateaux Inc.

Supplies

• fondant covered cake
  • acrylic lace stencil
  • tulle
  • pins
  • offset spatula
  • stiff royal icing
  • piping bag fitted with PME 0 tip

STEP 1:  Lay stencil over fondanted cake.

STEP 2:  Cover stencil with tulle.

STEP 3:  Smooth out any wrinkles in tulle.

STEP 4:  Secure tulle and stencil with pins.

STEP 5:  Prepare still royal icing.

STEP 6:  Spread royal icing over stencil.

STEP 7:  Remove all excess royal icing.

STEP 8:  Remove pins.

STEP 9:  Carefully remove tulle and stencil.

STEP 10:  Lace stencil is complete.

STEP 11:  Connect dots inside Cartouche in royal icing using a PME 0 tip.

STEP 12:  Pipe along outside edge of lace pattern in royal icing using a PME 0 tip.

FINISHED:  Continue piping until lace is complete!

VENDORS & CREDITS:
Cake & Tutorial : Gateaux Inc
Lace Stencils : Evil Cake Genius

Craftsy

Comments

Oh my Carrie!!! Oh my, oh my, oh my! This was FABulous! What a simple, classy, and elegant cake but to make a tutorial for us is an extra and excited “thank you” from my heart! Very much appreciated!

It is fabulous Toni! But the credit goes to Robin Martin and her team at Gateaux!! Both for the gorgeous cake and the tutorial. Be sure to check out more of their cakes and all of their cake stencils and silk screens. Truly fabulous!

McKenzie says

I looked at the lace stencils on the link posted, but I was wondering which specific stencil is used in this tutorial. Thank you so much for this tutorial! The cake is beautiful!

Meredith says

I can’t tell but in some pictures the cake looks more of a beige color and other pictures on their site it looks like a soft pink blush. Do you know for sure?

Hi Amanda,
      Yes, these stencils work on Buttercream as well. I hadn’t ever tried it myself, but I’ve had tons of decorators share their beautiful lacey buttercream cakes that they’ve made using our stencils!

Simone Harris says

Beautiful….I purchased a video showing me how to make the lace cakes…..I must say I would have saved some time and money with Gateaux Inc technique. This is even more lovely…thanks for sharing.

God Bless

Lavonna says

Hi. I love the stencils. I did a practice cake last week, buttercreme on buttercreme. It did pretty well. I will be make a full wedding cake for March 8th. Can’t wait!

Interested in the best way to clean the stencil. Suggestions?

Thanks

Lavonna

kelly says

lovely lovely lovely!! curious about how the dragee embellished band around the finish cake was done also ~ is there a stencil for placing those tiny dragees?? (time consuming lil buggers! lol!)

Cierra says

Is there anywhere else that you can buy a stencil like this or another kind that would work the same way? I need it as soon as I can get it and wouldn’t have time to wait on it through the mail.
    Thanks!

Meghan McGuirk says

In the cake shown (on the tall layer, second from the top) the stencil work goes up from the side into the top of the cake. How was that done? How do you continue the stencil on the curve/edge?