Our contributor, Lauren Kapeluck of EllenJay Events, is sharing a Peaches and Cream cupcake recipe. Fresh peach cupcakes with peach buttercream frosting topped with a dollop of peach jam.
It’s finally peach season, and I couldn’t be more excited! I love spending Saturday mornings taking a trip to our local farmers market and checking out all the fruits and veggies that are currently in season. Of course the moment I stumble across that first basket of orange and red juicy peaches, I immediately want to sink my teeth right into one. We always buy the biggest basket possible so we can enjoy both peaches to eat and also use some for baking. Last year, I whipped up a huge homemade peach pie, but this year I decided to use my peaches for a batch of Peaches N’ Cream Cupcakes.
These cupcakes are simple and rustic, made with both fresh peach puree and diced peaches to add a little bit of texture. The cake is light and fluffy and full of peach flavor and smells absolutely amazing! A small swirl of Peach Cream Cheese Frosting is the perfect addition on top. And to round out all the peach flavors, a spoonful of locally made peach jam in the center provides a bright pop of color and a little extra sweetness.
Make sure you grab some peaches next time you are at your farmers market or driving by a roadside stand. This is one recipe you are going to want to keep close by all summer long and share with friends.
PEACHES AND CREAM CUPCAKES
a recipe by Lauren Kapeluck
(makes 24-28 cupcakes)
For the Fresh Peach Cupcakes:
1 3/4 cups cake flour
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 ounces unsalted butter, softened, cut into cubes
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup peach puree
3/4 cup diced peaches
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- In bowl of stand mixer combine: cake flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix until combined about 1-2 minutes.
- Combine buttermilk, vanilla and peach puree. Set aside.
- Gradually add butter to flour mixture a few cubes at a time and mix on medium until resembles course sand.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gradually add in the milk and peach mixture, scraping sides of bowl as necessary and mix until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Fold in the diced peaches.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
For the Peach Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 ounces unsalted butter, softened
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup peach puree
1 teaspoon vanilla
4-5 cups confectioners’ sugar
Peach Jam (for topping)
- In bowl of stand mixer combine butter and cream cheese and beat on medium speed until creamy.
- Add peach puree and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Gradually add confectioners’ sugar 2 cups at a time and mix until well combined.
- Place frosting in piping bag fitted with large star piping tip. Pipe a circle of icing around the outer edge of the cupcake.
- Place a dollop of peach jam in the center of each cupcake.