Apple Butter Cupcakes
A deliciously easy cupcake recipe with apple butter in both the cupcake and frosting for lots of great apple flavor!
- Yield: 12 -14 Cupcakes
- Category: ✽ ✽ ✽
For the Apple Butter Cupcakes:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons apple butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
For the Cinnamon Apple Butter Frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup butter, room temperature
- 4 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12-15 dried apple chips
Make the Apple Butter Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light in color and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add sour cream and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Add egg whites in two batches, mixing until well combined after each. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl, set aside. Combine the apple butter and milk in a small measuring cup.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until well combined. Add the apple butter mixture and mix until well combined. Add remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Fill the cupcake liners about halfway. Bake for 17-19 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.
Make the Cinnamon Apple Butter Frosting:
- Beat the cream cheese and butter together until combined and smooth.
- Add about half of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add the apple butter, vanilla extract and ground cinnamon and mix until smooth.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Pipe swirls of frosting onto the cupcakes using a large open star tip, then top them with a dried apple chip.
- Store cupcakes in the refrigerator. Serve at room temperature.