Lemon Lavender Cupcakes
Lemon Lavender Cupcakes – easy lemon cupcakes with lavender buttercream frosting, topped with lavender flowers and fresh lemon slices.
- Author: Lindsay Conchar
- Yield: 12 - 14 Cupcakes
- Skill Level: ✽ ✽
For the Lemon Cupcakes:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (1-2 lemons)
For the Lavender Frosting:
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons water or milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 teaspoon lavender extract
- Violet icing color, optional
- Lavender flowers
- 6-7 Lemon slices, cut in half
- To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light in color and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the sour cream, vanilla extract and lemon zest and mix until well combined.
- Add the egg whites in two batches, mixing until well combined after each. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Combine the dry ingredients in another bowl, then combine milk, water and lemon juice in a measuring cup.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until well combined.
- Add the milk mixture and mix until well combined.
- Add remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Fill cupcake liners about ¾ full. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting. Beat the butter and shortening together until smooth.
- Add about half of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of water or milk and the extracts and mix until smooth.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add additional water or milk, if needed.
- Add violet icing color to the frosting until it reaches the desired shade of purple.
- Pipe the frosting on top of the cupcakes using a closed star piping tip like this one. Top the cupcakes with a sprinkle of lavender and half a slice of lemon.
- To make the frosting all butter, replace the 1/2 cup shortening with an additional 1/2 cup salted butter.
Share your bakes with us on Instagram! Tag your photo with #thecakeblog
© THE CAKE BLOG. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.