Berries and Cream Cupcakes
Berries and Cream Cupcakes – mixed berry buttercream paired with a moist vanilla cupcake stuffed with whipped cream cheese filling, topped with fresh strawberries, raspberries and blueberries.
- Author: Lindsay Conchar
- Yield: 12-14 cupcakes
- Skill Level: ✽ ✽ ✽
For the Vanilla Cupcakes:
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup hot water
For the Berry Frosting:
- 1 cup freeze-dried mixed berries
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons water or milk
- Pinch of salt
- Fresh berries, for topping
For the Cream Filling:
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream, cold
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¾ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
Make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare a cupcake pan with liners.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt to a large mixer bowl and combine. Set aside.
- Add the milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and eggs to a medium sized bowl and combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and beat until well combined.
- Slowly add the hot water to the batter and mix on low speed until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to make sure everything is well combined.
- Fill the cupcake liners about half way and bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Remove the cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Make the Berry Frosting:
- Add the freeze dried berries to a food processor and grind into a powder. Set aside.
- Add the butter to a large mixer bowl and mix until smooth.
- Add about half of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth
- Add up to 3 tablespoons of water or milk and the salt and mix until smooth.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and powdered berries and mix until well combined and smooth. Add additional water or milk, as needed. Set aside.
Make the Cream Filling:
- Add the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and almond extract to a large mixer bowl and whip on high speed until soft peaks begin to form.
- Add the cream cheese and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
Assemble the Cupcakes:
- Use a cupcake corer or knife to remove the center of the cupcakes. Fill the centers with the cream filling.
- Pipe the berry frosting on top of the cupcakes using a closed star piping tip like this one
- Finish off the cupcakes with additional fresh berries. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Share your bakes with us on Instagram! Tag your photo with #thecakeblog
© THE CAKE BLOG. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.