Strawberry Nutella Cupcakes
Strawberry Nutella Cupcakes made with a soft, fluffy Nutella cupcake topped with more Nutella and a fresh strawberry frosting!
- Author: Lindsay Conchar
- Yield: 16 - 18 Cupcakes
- Skill Level: ✽ ✽ ✽
For the Nutella Cupcakes:
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup Nutella Hazelnut Spread
- ¼ cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups (163g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons milk, room temperature
- Additional Nutella, for topping
For the Strawberry Frosting:
- ½ cup strawberry puree
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup shortening (or additional butter)
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Strawberries, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Beat the sugar, butter and Nutella until lighter in color and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Add the egg whites in two batches, mixing until well combined.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until well combined. Add the milk to the batter and mix until well combined. Add remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Fill cupcake liners only about halfway, or a bit less. Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
Make the Frosting:
- Add the strawberry puree to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat for about 15-20 minutes, until reduced in half to about ¼ cup. Set in the fridge to cool completely.
- Combine the butter and shortening in a large mixer bowl and mix until smooth.
- Add about half of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add a tablespoon of the cooled strawberry puree and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add another 2-3 tablespoons, as needed, to get the right consistency and flavor frosting, mixing until well combined and smooth.
- Add a pinch of salt, to taste.
- When the cupcakes are cooled completely, spread a thin layer of Nutella on top of each of them.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes using a closed star pastry tip, like an Ateco 844.
Share your bakes with us on Instagram! Tag your photo with #thecakeblog
© THE CAKE BLOG. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.