Hummingbird Cake – a no fuss favorite with tropical flavors of pineapple, banana and pecans making it the perfect summer bake.
- Author: Tessa Huff
- Skill Level: ✽ ✽ ✽
For the Hummingbird Cake:
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup grapeseed or canola oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 5 to 5 ½ cups confections’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk, as needed
For the Assembly:
Make the Hummingbird Cake:
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour three 8-inch round cake pans and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer (or hand mixer), beat together the oil and sugar. Add in the vanilla and eggs, one at a time. Stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl.
- With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredients in two batches.
- Add in the bananas, pineapple, and pecans. Mix on low until they being to combine with the batter. Stop the mixer and fold by hand until everything is evenly distributed.
- Evenly divide the batter between the prepared cake pans. Bake for 25 to 28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to rest on a wire rack for 10 to 20 minutes before removing the cakes from their pans. Cool completely before assembling.
Make the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Using an electric mixer (hand or stand), beat together the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add in the remaining ingredients, and mix on low until combined.
- Turn the mixer up to medium and let the frosting whip until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add more sugar or milk until desired consistency is achieved.
Assemble the Cake:
- Place one layer of cake onto serving plate or cake stand and top with about one cup of cream cheese frosting. Repeat with second cake layer, more frosting and then last layer of cake.
- If desired, tint remaining frosting a summery yellow and light orange. Frost the cake using both colors. Blend together by creating short strokes around the cake with a small offset spatula.
- Sprinkle a ring of white sugar pearls around the top edge, if desired.
- Store in refrigerator. Serve at room temperature.
Share your bakes with us on Instagram! Tag your photo with #thecakeblog
© THE CAKE BLOG. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.