Snickerdoodle Cupcakes – cinnamon sugar cupcakes topped with delicious brown sugar buttercream. A holiday cupcake recipe inspired by the classic Christmas cookie
- Author: ellenJAY
- Yield: 18 cupcakes
- Skill Level: ✽ ✽ ✽
For the Snickerdoodle Cupcakes:
- 1 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
For the Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the Brown Sugar Buttercream:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350F and line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In medium bowl combine dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In microwave safe bowl, melt butter. Then whisk in the sugar, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- In bowl of stand mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into the batter until combined.
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ full.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon topping together and sprinkle ½ teaspoon on top of each cupcake. Reserve remaining for final décor.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.
- Allow cupcakes to cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
Make the Frosting:
- Mix butter, brown sugar and vanilla in bowl of stand mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes, until smooth.
- Reduce mixer speed to low, and slowly add in confectioners’ sugar 1 cup at a time while mixer is running and mix until smooth.
- Prepare a piping bag fitted with a 1M tip and fill with frosting.
- Swirl buttercream on top cupcakes and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Share your bakes with us on Instagram! Tag your photo with #thecakeblog
© THE CAKE BLOG. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.