Snow Angel Cupcakes
Snow Angel Cupcakes – light angel food cupcakes with lemon zest topped with whipped cream and fresh raspberries.
- Yield: 24+ cupcakes 1x
- Category: ✽ ✽ ✽
For the Angel Food Cupcakes
- 2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 ⅓ cups sifted cake flour
- 12 egg whites, at room temperature
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- zest of one organic lemon
When Ready To Serve
- 16 ounces heavy whipping cream, very cold
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Fresh Raspberries
- Confectioners’ Sugar
Make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor, pulse sugar until it is superfine. Roughly two minutes on low.
- Combine ½ cup sugar with cake flour and sift together four times. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer filled with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites, salt and cream of tarter until medium firm peaks.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 ½ cups sugar over egg whites with mixer running. Mix until thick and shiny.
- Add lemon zest. Mix several additional minutes until very thick. Remove bowl from stand mixer. Scrape down whisk attachment, removing all egg whites and zest.
- Sprinkle ¼ of flour mixture into bowl and gently fold into egg whites using a clean rubber spatula. Repeat until all flour has been added.
- Spoon batter into a muffin tin lined with cupcake wrappers. Fill each wrapper almost to the very top. Smooth top.
- Bake 17 – 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes and then remove from muffin tin to cool completely.
When Ready To Serve:
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk chilled heavy cream and 4 tablespoons sugar until you have soft peaks.
- When ready to serve, spoon a dollop of whipped cream on top of each cupcake. Top with a fresh raspberry and a sprinkle of confectioners sugar, if desired.
- To make whipped cream topping in advance, use mousse powder, gelatin, cream cheese or another stabilizer to prevent the cream from deflating.