DIY: Modern Christmas Cookies

Callye of The Sweet Adventures of Sugarbelle is stopping by to share some of her cookie magic…

For some reason, many people don’t think they are capable of decorating perfect sugar cookies.  This is simply untrue.  With a little practice and experience ANYONE can create beautiful cookies.  Today I’m going to share a fun little tip to help you along on your cookie decorating journey.  I used it to make my latest set of Christmas cookies.
Chevron & Christmas Tree Cookies

I call this the impression trick.  Before baking, I used a cookie cutter to lightly stamp the dough.  This leaves an impression on the cookie that will serve as a piping guide after baking .
Christmas Tree Cookie Tutorial

When the cookies have cooled, use piping icing and a #2 or #3 tip to outline the tree design, and after a minute of two of drying, fill with matching flood icing.
Christmas Tree Cookie Tutorial

While the tree is still wet, drop colored dragees or pearl “ornaments” into the icing.  Let the Tree area dry for about an hour, than outline and fill the rest of the cookie.

Christmas Tree Cookie Tutorial

Let them dry overnight, and you’ll have beautiful perfect cookies.
Modern Christmas Tree Cookies

Sometimes I’ll use a #1.5 tip to outline the tree or add a few more ornaments the next day.  I like to create collections of simple coordinating cookies with lots of texture and visual interest.  This makes even the simplest of cookie designs appear amazing.
Modern Christmas Tree Cookies

This technique works for MANY different cookie themes. Don’t be afraid to experiment.

If you have the cookie decorating bug, be sure to swing by my blog, The Sweet Adventures of Sugarbelle, where you’ll find all sorts of cookie how-to’s like the Chevron Patterned Cookies pictured above.

Thanks for having me today, I hope you’ll come visit me in all of my cookie craziness very soon!  Happy Decorating!  ~ Callye

Craftsy

Comments

Barbara Stephens says

Gorgeous!! Curious how you made the “flood” icing and what type of coloring was used to give the shimmery look to the cookies!!

Debbie says

These are Beautiful, with a capital B!! I would also like to know about the silver icing and a source for the silver sprinkles. Thank you for sharing your inspiration and encouragement!

Courtney says

LOVE the colors on these cookies!! Pink and gray/silver are the colors for my daughters first birthday party in 12 days…I would LOVE to make the silver shimmery frosting for her cookies. How did you do that??? And have you shared your frosting recipes anywhere? Your frosting looks flawless! I can’t wait to try!

Hello everyone! I use regular royal icing, and the recipe can be found here http://www.sweetsugarbelle.com/blog/2011/04/royal-icing-101-or-all-roads-lead-to-rome/

The silver icing is achieved by misting the finished cookies with pearl or silver Wilton lustre spray, OR airbrushing them with pearl sheen if you own and airbrush.

As for sprinkles, my favorite resource for dragees is Global Sugar art, and for the coarse silver sugar is Wilton brand and can be found at Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

These cookies are beautiful. I love what a detailed design you made from such a simple square. Where did you get silver icing from? It’s so pretty.

Jade says

These cookies are beautiful. After you outline the tree how do you fill in the icing? It looks so smooth, almost like it was poured in. Once again beautiful work.

Wow, these are beautiful…sparkly, glittery, shimmery = beautiful. I’m honestly intimidated by decorating cookies, but this seems somewhat simple (lack of any skill of my own aside.)

Muchísimas gracias por compartir tus tutoriales, estoy aprendiendo y me vienen geniales !!!
    Saludos desde Canarias (Spain)
    Lola

sal says

I have a question, what is the difference between “piping icing” and “flood icing?” Is the recepie the same for both (royal icing)

Kate says

How weird, I found this website while watching Half Baked the movie lol. These are so beautiful and if i added a pearly turquoise would match my christmas theme this year