Recipe: Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes

Over the years, I’ve come to a conclusion.  There is no better way to say thank you than with a thoughtful gesture.  Anyone can say thank you, but showing that you’re thankful is another story.  Personally, I like to show my thanks with a baked good of some sort.  Makes perfect sense, right?  Whether sending cookies in the mail or delivering a fresh batch of cupcakes, it’s my favorite way to show appreciation.

Today’s delicious cupcakes were made as a double thank you.  First and foremost, they thanked friends who helped out during our recent move.  Yes, we’ve moved again.  Making this move #7 in 5 years.  Wow, that’s a lot of boxes!  But I’m happy to say that this move should last us a while.  And once I rid my office of all these boxes… I shouldn’t have to look at any for a few years.  The second half of this cupcake thank you is for you!  For hanging in there with me and this blog for the last 5 years!  Even during the slow months when life takes the front seat and posting gets shoved to the back.  Since I can’t personally deliver cupcakes to all of you, I hope you’ll enjoy this recipe for Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes.

Lemon Blueberry Cupcake Recipe  |  TheCakeBlog.com

Blueberries and lemons go together like peas and carrots.  They’re a match that was simply meant to be.  So when you top a blueberry cupcake with a lemon cream cheese frosting, you have a flavor combination that was made in heaven.  Fresh and clean.  Tangy and sweet.  And well, just downright tempting.  So tempting that you might have a hard time resisting.  If I was counting {and thank goodness I wasn’t} then I would know that I ate way too many of these before Mr. Sellman delivered them to our helpful friends.

Lemon Blueberry Cupcake Recipe  |  TheCakeBlog.com

LEMON BLUEBERRY CUPCAKES
a recipe by Carrie Sellman
{makes 24 cupcakes}

3 cups cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
zest of 1 lemon
1 cup whole milk
1 cup blueberries

1. Preheat oven to 350.  Line two muffin tins with cupcake wrappers.
  2. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soad and salt. Set aside.
  3. Gently toss blueberries with a light coating of flour.  Set aside.
  4. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium-high using the paddle attachment.  Beat until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
  5. With the mixer on low, add eggs one at a time.  Mixing well after each egg.
  6. Add one third of your dry ingredients and mix on low, just until combined.
  7. Add one half of your milk.  Mix gently.
  8. Add in remaining ingredients, alternating dry, wet, dry.  Do not over mix.
  9. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter.  Top each cupcake with 3 to 4 blueberries.
  10. Bake 17-19 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

For the Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting

16 oz cream cheese, softened
4 oz unsalted butter, room temperature
2 lbs confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 lemon, zest and juice

1. Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
  2. Add vanilla, lemon zest and juice and mix until combined.
  3. Gradually add confectioners sugar until completely combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Mix again.

To Assemble

Once cupcakes are cool, swirl cream cheese frosting onto each cupcake using a pastry bag fitted with a #2A tip.  Garnish with strips of lemon zest and extra blueberries.  Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.

TIP:  If the icing is not holding its shape while decorating, refrigerate icing 20-30 minutes.  The chilled icing with pipe nicely into a soft swirl.

Lemon Blueberry Cupcake Recipe  |  TheCakeBlog.com

I heard feedback that this was the best cupcake ever.  While that might be a tad exaggerated in an effort to be kind to the baker, it does make me think this recipe is a keeper.  Give them a try and share with someone you appreciate.  It’s definitely a delicious way to say thank you!

Craftsy

Comments

Lora says

These look delicious! As if blueberry muffins weren’t bad enough for us already, add icing….but man it looks tasty and I love how they are decorated! I will definitely be making some :) Thanks for sharing!

Blueberry and lemon go together so well! I think it’s just the overt sweetness of the blueberry that makes the lemon taste like lemonade. These cupcakes look beautiful, and paired with some strawberry cupcakes, they’d be a great addition to a Fourth of July potluck. Got to remember that for later!

Kimberly Nguyen says

These look absolutely great! I just want to clarify if baking powder is 1 Tbsp or 1 tsp? I’ve never seen a cupcake recipe ask for so much baking powder! Thanks for posting this!

Yes, I did actually use 1 tablespoon of baking powder.

A general rule of thumb is one teaspoon of baking powder to one cup of flour. This is a larger recipe, using 3 cups of flour. So following that rule, it would be 3 teaspoons of baking powder (equaling 1 tablespoon of baking powder).

Hope that helps!

Shay says

Did you really mean a whole tablespoon of baking powder?! I made these and they were way too “airy” and wouldn’t hold shape. They literally just fell apart! After research, I found that that happens when there’s too much baking powder. Let me know what you think, thanks.

Hi Shay,

I’m sorry to hear you had trouble with the recipe. Yes, I did actually use 1 tablespoon of baking powder. Please see comment above for the recipe reasoning behind it. Generally, if you use too much baking powder, the result will be a fallen center.

These cupcakes take a bit longer to cool due to the fresh fruit. While still warm, they are a bit fragile. But once completely cool, they were tender and held together nicely.

Thanks for giving them a try! And for your feedback!

Stacie says

These taste great but didn’t cook well. They over-reacted and exploded out from the middle of the cupcake and overflowed. Some were almost hollowed out, weird. I only filled them 3/4 full. They browned nicely but upon eating them they were a bit gooey on the very bottom even though the toothpick was clean and I even overcooked them a bit since a few were still gooey in the middle. The overall taste was still delicious, but just sad because I made these for a shower and they overflowed all over my pretty liners. :(
    Next time I will use just 2t of baking powder.
    Love lemon and blueberry, perfect for summer!

Tara says

The recipe says to fill liners 2/3 of the way full. Perhaps you put too much batter in and that’s why they overflowed?

I made these over the weekend and they were wonderful!

Mian says

I tried these with frozen blueberries since there are no fresh ones here in the Philippines and they still turned out great! My friends all praised me for it.
    I love the fact that you used cream cheese instead of the usual lemon buttercream. I’ll be trying more of your recipes. ❤
    Thank you for posting this. I’ve been looking for the best lemon cupcake and I think I found the one I like best :)

I believe I purchased the cupcake wrappers at Michael’s. I have a jar of wrappers that I pull from when baking cupcakes, so sometimes it’s hard to remember where a specific liner was purchased. ;)

Mel says

Again – FABULOUS. The only thing I hate and it has nothing to do with you or the recipe, lol. I’m from the Caribbean, so we don’t usually have the option of the beautiful fresh blueberries, we usually have them imported and they’re then located in the frozen section of the food stores, but you know what – I LOVE THIS SOOOOO MUCH, frozen or fresh, I’m looking forward to making this. It’s So YUM!

My 14 year old niece made these for her birthday dessert (she loves to bake). I got my hands on one of these and was amazed! Completely gourmet! Moist, buttery cake with subtle lemon flavor complemented by lemony cream cheese frosting! These are what you find in a high end bakery. Definitely not your average cupcake. I can’t wait to make them myself!

Meena says

Hello, I plan to make these and have always had trouble halving the recipe as it does not seem to come out right. Could you tell me how i can use this recipe to make probably 6 cup cakes? What would you mean by lemon zest? Do you just grate the outer skin of a yellow lemon?

Blueberries are a luxury fruit to afford in my country because they don’t thrive with the weather we have. However I would love try to make this one with what blueberries I can find in exchange. I found a blueberry filling and I think dried? Must try to find out. Thank you for this recipe!

Megan says

I’d like to make this recipe into a cake … And pair it with your speckle cake! Will it hold up OK to make a cake out of the cupcake recipe?

Audrey says

These cupcakes look awesome! Do you think this recipe work with almond milk instead of whole milk? Or would I just have to experiment lol

Sarah says

I just made these and the recipe was sort of unclear with what to do with the set aside blueberries. I put three on top but they never sunk down they just stayed on top. Maybe if I fold them into the batter next time. But they taste good!

santhi harmon says

i made this yesterday…. it taste lemony so fresh… im planning to give it away to all my neighbors since we’re moved into new neighborhood. but for frosting i made only half batch …its enough for 20 cupcake …i didn’t frosted the other four :) but i love the flavor of blueberry and lemon together. im sure i will making this one again soon. thanks for sharing your recipes with us

Sarah says

Do you have suggestions to stop fresh fruit from bleeding on frosting? I’ve found that if I top cupcakes or cake with fresh fruit, the juices come flowing out after a while. Will just drying them well do the trick? I’m going to sugar blueberries for atop a cake this weekend to hopefully lock in the juice even more.