The Meringue Buttercream Myth

We’re thrilled to welcome our newest contributor, Summer Stone of Cake Paper Party!  Join along as Summer explores traditional baking concepts in new and exciting ways.

Breaking the Meringue Buttercream Myth | a new approach to a classic recipe | by Summer Stone for TheCakeBlog.com

CAKE MYTH : You must create a meringue in order to produce a European-style buttercream.

For some time, I puzzled over the idea that you have to create a fully realized, stable meringue in order to make a Swiss Meringue Buttercream (SMBC).  I wondered why one would create a beautifully peaked meringue and then destroy it by adding in loads of butter.  I also wanted to know why SMBC’s were so inherently unstable and even the most practiced of bakers sometimes had difficulty making them behave.  After much experimentation, I have found answers that will help you make buttercream faster and easier than ever before.  You will find that you don’t need a meringue at all!

Here is my method for making Swiss Buttercream (SBC) and an explanation as to why it works:

(No Meringue) Swiss Buttercream Recipe | a new approach to a classic recipe | by Summer Stone for TheCakeBlog.com

STEP 1 :  Start with egg whites

Egg whites serve two important roles in SBC.  They act as a structural component and serve as a liquid to dissolve granulated sugar into.  In traditional SMBC, egg whites are beaten to peaks as a means of incorporating air into the buttercream.  The problem with this is that protein mediated air pockets are very unstable in the presence of fat.  When butter is added, much of the air which was beaten into the eggs is lost and it they become a syrupy puddle.  Here I have used pasteurized egg whites from a carton, but separated egg whites from cracked eggs work just as well.

STEP 2 : Add sugar

Sugar obviously plays an important role as a flavor provider in a buttercream but it also serves to thicken and stabilize the egg liquid it is dissolved into.  The sugar-egg combination, when mixed with butter, creates an emulsion that is more stable than either individual component.

STEP 3 : Whisk the sugar and eggs together

The eggs and sugar have a symbiotic relationship.  The eggs serve the sugar by providing a solvent into which it can be dissolved.  At the same time, the sugar helps the egg whites by weakening their ability to coagulate allowing them to remain in a liquid state.  Be sure to whisk the eggs and sugar together very well for maximum benefit. No one likes scrambled egg buttercream!

STEP 4 : Heat the eggs and sugar

While the egg whites are helpful in dissolving the sugar, at this high of a sugar concentration heat is required to fully dissolve the sugar crystals.  Heat also functions to destroy any harmful bacteria that may be living in the egg whites (particularly if they are fresh).  For this reason, you should heat your egg-sugar syrup to 160ᵒ F which will ensure Salmonella is killed.  I find the easiest way to do this is in the microwave.  One recipe will take 3-4 minutes stirring at one minute intervals.  Alternatively you can heat the syrup in a double boiler until a safe temperature is reached.  At 160ᵒ F all sugar crystals should be dissolved.  I like to add a half ounce of corn syrup to the sugar-egg mixture to minimize the chances of recrystallization.  Be sure to stir in any sugar granules than remain on the sides of the bowl.  One undissolved rebel sugar crystal can reseed the whole batch.

STEP 5 : Cool the egg-sugar syrup

I place my syrup in a clean cake pan and place it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes to reach a cool/cold temperature (45-60ᵒ F).  When the sugar syrup is added to the butter in this temperature range, the two components generally go into emulsion seamlessly without “breaking”.  This seems to be one of the problems with traditional SMBC.  Since a meringue will not form readily in a cold syrup, the eggs and sugar would have to be at room temperature when the butter was added.  This room-temperature blending stresses the combination and makes formation of a proper emulsion more difficult.

STEP 6 : Make extra syrup to save for later

One of the advantages of making SBC by this method is that you can make large batches of syrup and freeze the extra for quick and easy batches in the future.  In the photos above, I made a double recipe of syrup and saved half for a future batch.

STEP 7 : Beat butter until light and fluffy

Butter is the all-star of SBC.  It does the amazing emulsifying work.  For this reason, it makes the most sense to start with the butter and add the cooled syrup to it.  When the butter is beaten on high for 2 minutes before the syrup is added, it lightens the buttercream and takes in air in a way that is more structurally sound than that of beaten egg whites.  I like to start with butter that is at a cool room temperature since it holds air better in a more solid form.

STEP 8 : Add half of the sugar syrup

Adding half of the liquid at a time allows the mechanical action of the mixer to work to develop the emulsion without overwhelming the butter and causing the mixture to break.  Beat for one minute to fully incorporate the syrup before adding the final half.

STEP 9 : Add remaining syrup

Add the second half of syrup to the butter mixture and beat on high to complete the emulsion and incorporate air into the mixture.  The buttercream will be quite firm at this point.

STEP 10 : Add vanilla and other flavorings

Adding liquids such as vanilla not only incorporates flavor but the liquids also smooth out and lighten the texture of the buttercream.  At this point, the buttercream will be very firm and stable.  If you would like a creamier buttercream that is less sweet, you can add additional butter, up to another 4 ounces.  If you want a buttercream that is lighter in texture, more like whipped cream, you can add more liquid in the form of milk, sour cream, cream cheese, juice, alcohol, fruit purees or water.  I have added up to a half a cup of cool water per recipe with success.  Slowly drizzle in the additional liquid while the mixer is going on medium speed.

I hope you enjoy this alternate method for making a Europen-style buttercream and that you find it easier and more fool-proof than ever before!  Happy baking!

SWISS BUTTERCREAM
a recipe by Summer Stone

• 8 ounces (227 grams) egg whites separated from whole eggs or from a carton- 1 cup
  • 16 ounces (454 grams) granulated sugar- 2 ¼ cups
  • ½ ounce (14 grams) corn syrup- 1 tablespoon
  • 16 ounces (454 grams) unsalted butter softened but not warm- 2 cups
  • 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) vanilla extract

Whisk egg whites and sugar together in a microwave-safe bowl.  Make sure the mixture is well mixed so the sugar can protect the eggs from cooking.  Heat the mixture in the microwave for 2-4 minutes on high in 30 second intervals whisking well after each 30 second heating. Heat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture reaches 160ᵒ F/72ᵒ C.  (Alternatively this step can be carried out in a double boiler over simmering water).  Pour the syrup into a cake pan or shallow metal bowl and chill in the freezer for 20-30 minutes until it is quite cool (45-60ᵒ F).

Meanwhile, beat the butter in a mixer for 2 minutes on high until the butter is lighter in color and aerated.  Add the cooled syrup in two additions to the butter beating 1 minute after each addition.  Add the vanilla and beat 30 seconds until smooth.  Can be used immediately.

You can store this buttercream at room temperature for 2 days, in the refrigerator tightly sealed for 2 weeks, or in the freezer for 2 months.

Summer Stone , CONTRIBUTOR

Summer's love of baking and science, plus a bit of a rebellious spirit, leads to all sorts of crazy experiments in the kitchen and beyond. She also blogs at CakePaperParty.com. Read more about Summer on her bio page.

Comments

Whoa. You are blowing my mind!! No more whipping meringue for 30 minutes as the sugar/egg white mixture cools!?

I have to try this. Immediately!

This is very interesting and I will definitely try. We have made SMBC once or twice and had success, but we always make Italian Meringue Butter Cream because we read years ago that it was more stable than SMBC. We’re not sure exactly what was more unstable about it than IMBC, but we’ve always had great success with the IMBC. We think they taste pretty much exactly the same and wonder why it seems that most cake decorators make the SMBC. Maybe because Martha Stewart loves and promotes it! HA! Possibly you could explain the difference in the two regarding the stability? So with this new method, would you say it (SMBC) is now more stable than making it the old way? Would IMBC still be more stable?

Your articles are always very informative and I enjoy reading them.

Thank you.

Donna

Luli says

Italian meringue is more stable because the syrup “cooks” the egg whites and they become firmer. French meringue, which is just sugar and egg whites, just dissolves after a while, italian meringue holds its shape. Swiss meringue is more stable than french, but still isn’t as stable as italian.

Dear Summer i just came across this site while i was searching for something else/ the phrase” i start with the butter” just caught my attention like magnet heheheheh, hope none of my bakers friends sees this as i was thinking this was my top secret way in making SMBC for so many years now and defeating them every time: by time of preparation, stability, texture , colour,flavouring, taste………. you name it hehehehe.
        as i always say kitchen is not just an art it’s the art of science as well 😉
        have a good blessed day Dear Summer, and keep up the good work.

Jenny says

What about using brown sugar? Have you ever tried that and does it make for a richer tasting frosting? I’m thinking about using it for almond flavored SMB.

I’m very intrigued! I’ve been haning trouble with my SMBC being way too soft in my warm Cal weather. I’m going to see if this could be my fix. I’ll post my results. Can’t wait.

kayenne says

120F! WOW! I’m sold! Gonna try this is our very warm tropical weather! Would this have the same volume and density compared to doing it the traditional way?

When compared side by side immediately after making the two the traditional method is slightly lighter in texture. By the next day they are identical. In a blind tasting my cake friends could not tell the difference.

Marquisha says

I can’t wait to try this! Do you have any idea how many eggs it takes to get 1 cup of whites?

Rebecca says

When you are ready to use the reserved frozen batch, is it safer to thaw in the refrigerator overnight or countertop?

It actually doesn’t freeze because of the high sugar content. It just becomes very thick. You can zap it in the microwave to 10-20 seconds to raise the temperature a touch.

Divarna says

Love this idea! Ive always found that as long as beat the smbc well, once all the butter is incorporated, then I have no problem. Even if it starts to look soupy at one point, beating always fixes it. But ťhe idea of having the “syrup” on hand is too good to pass up!

vivian says

thank ypu so much for sharing this with us. I will definitely try this as i am really having a great problem with my merigue. God vkess your good heart

I made a batch of SMBC this weekend and i really would have loved to try out this technique. Still though can’t wait to try it out. Will definitely come back here to give feedback.

I’ve never had major issues with SMBC, but if it’s more stable and heat resistant, that’s a winner on my book. Definitely worth a try! Thanks.

Ana Villatoro says

Wow really? Thank you! You are amazing! Cuestion were do you get your cupcake tins and cupcake wrappers? They are biger than the ones on the grocery store. Thanks in advance,

Helene Panagiotopoulos says

This sounds great. .. I’m going to try it. At what point do I incorporate the corn syrup in your recipe?

I don’t think so because you are losing the proteins that are necessary for emulsification. Maybe it would work if you added lecithin or another emulsifier but you are probably better off with butter.

Rich says

I’m curious if adding liquid like you suggest to give it a more whipped cream feel will significantly alter it’s ability to hold up the layer/s above? Can you comment on that? I can’t wait to try it but I’m wary of it squeezing out the sides and losing height.

Many thanks for the recipe. I’ll definitely be using it this weekend.

Shut the front door!! I love making SMBC, but it certainly does take a lot of whipping time. I generally make triple batches and freeze. But, oh, to only need to make the syrup (and in the microwave)… Life altering for this baker :) I’m one week post surgery, but I think I’m gonna have to get in the kitchen today to try this… eeekkk… sooo excited. Thanks for sharing!!

Alex says

I just tried this recipe. Couple of comments. I have always had success making regular SMBC but was excited to try this new version. First, it will take longer than the regular way as you must wait for the egg white mix to cool. This took an hour for me (did not put into a really shallow pan). The final product is much gloopier than I had expected, also much sweeter. I am not sure I will be able to use it in place of my regular SMBC. Probably need more practice as with anything, but just wanted to let you know of my experience.

Hi Alex, You can use this method with the proportions you are used to if you prefer it less sweet. And yes it takes a little while to cool, but at least it is all hands off. It’s great to zap the eggs and sugar the night before and stick it in the fridge to be ready in the morning. :)

Linda Renaud says

Sadie my dog thank’S you for this recipe. She hates the sound of the standmixer. Can I use my regular SMBC recipe for this technique to work?

I just tried this new method and it didn’t work out for me. It never gained any volume and it just looks and tastes like super sweet whipped butter. I used the carton egg white (which is what is suggested) and to this date, I still have NOT been successful in making my SMBC with it. The only thing that works for me is fresh egg whites (I just hate throwing out so many yolks).

I’m not giving up through. I’ll try again but for tonight, back to my regular SMBC.

I’m curious to see how others do with it.

Thanks!
    Michele

Lora says

I have used this basic method for a few years after seeing in a strawberry “Swiss meringue” buttercream recipe. But I always used everything at room temp and, once or twice, have had my icing “break.” So excited to try it with the cooling method. I shared this with my Facebook buddies and so many people were surprised by this method – thanks for sharing, this style is so delicious and now I can’t wait to make some yummy cupcakes this weekend to try with the new cooling step you taught me! I always appreciate the insights :)

I can’t wait to try this! Making a top notch SMBC has evaded me for a long time and this seems like a winner to me. Thanks so much for ironing out the kinks for us!

Iris Urem says

I have tried it two times in four days :-) First time I added some whipping cream and orange juice and Grand Marnier (tried to make it creamier, like yours in the picture, and less sweet). I did not work, it granulated and begun to dissolve to cream and liquid.

Next try added only cream cheese (Mascarpone) and orange zest. Problem is if I put it in a fridge it cranks, and after being exposed to warmth (it is summertime) it melts to fast. So, I had only short time to use it on optimal temperature.

An it never looked like yours on the picture. What did I do wrong?

Krystal Rodrigues says

OOOMMMG!!, thank u thank u so much,,,, I have been wanting to try SMBC for ages and never gave it a shot coz I wasn’t sure if it will work,,,, but once I read ur method I knew I just had to try it…. It was so easy to understand and follow and it turned out like a dream…. It was a big hit !!!!!! I live in India were its warm,,scratch that,,,,, it’s HoT and I had no trouble wit it being gloppy or unstable … It was fantastic !!!! Thank u once again !!! Much Cakey love from India.

jair says

I am currently making this method and it is a time and life saver. Especially in comparison with the book method from school. In addition my client wants “whipped topping” for her wedding cake in the middle of a st.louis humid summer. Thank goodness I found this in time to make her cake. Will update once I stack it. Thanks Summer!!!

I just tried this recipe and it came out perfectly!
    Thank you!
    Always hated how long it took to make SMBC and now it is faster and seems to stand up well in a hot tropical climate like here in Malaysia.

Eric says

Hi Summer,

How would I go about making this recipe chocolate? Can’t wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.

Linda Renaud says

Hi Summer, I tried your recipe and it worked out just great. It made a nice thick SMBC. Thank’s for this recipe. Love it!

jacqui says

Hi SUMMER.

I want to out this butter cream bewteen layers of a three tier Wedding cake and then ganach the cake before adding the fondant. However I am concerned how long I can keep this as I usually bake and decorator then deliver the cake between 3/4 days. Any advice please. thank-you

Erica Medsker says

Does this frosting hold up to heat? I’m talking 120* Las Vegas summer. I’ve been trying to figure out how best to stabilize frosting for an outdoor party. I’m wondering if gelatin is my best bet, or would this work?

hi summer stone i don’t have a stand mixer and paddle attachment so can i make this with regular hand beater / hand mixer ?does it gives the same results?plz reply

And one more thing i have to ask that can we use shortening with the butter? As i have only half quantity of butter .if i use half of butter and half of crisco shortening Is it works the same?

I tried this and LOVED how easy it was to prepare! Turned out very stable but a tad too sweet for our Asian palette. Also it looked a little glossier than my usual SMBC but that’s no problem :) THANKS Summer!

Sarah says

I was pretty excited to try this recipe, especially because I was planning to make a SMB with cream cheese.

I followed the recipe but reduced the sugar by about 50 grams.

I just didn’t quite work out for me so I left it to mix a little longer hoping it would magically come together like the regular SMB does. I gave up after a while and added extra butter and that did the trick!

I introduced the cream cheese as directed and it went back to being unfortunate looking. The taste was OK but I wasn’t happy with the texture.

I wish I had the success others had. I don’t think I’ll try it again as I haven’t had any problems with regular method.

Thank you!

Alyssa says

Could I possibly sub half of the butter with cream cheese for a cream cheese-SMBC? I have a client wanting coconut cake with cream cheese icing. I tried this recipe the other day and LOVED it. Possibility? Or would the cream cheese curdle it?

sharon says

Does the syrup stay in the freezer or go in the fridge when you have extra? Thank you for this recipe. Look forward to trying it.

esther says

Hello! Summer,
    Thank you for sharing your good method.
    I love SMBC’s texture,so it is my best favourite.
    Can I use any syrup that I have instead of corn syrup?
    It looks very easy.

Have a lovely day!

grace says

I’ve always made swiss meringue buttercream by hand, with a whisk. it sucks. and then, when it separates, i have to put in even more elbow grease. but it just tastes sooo good.

do you think this method would do ok being hand whisked/beat?

cindy says

I was wondering if stability also has to do with using a butter with a higher percent of butter fat. I use European butter when making pastries but I was curious if this butter would also be better in butter cream icing. Thank you, Cindy

Cindy says

Hi! Looks like a great way to make Swiss Buttercream. I would like to make this but add chocolate to it. Do you know what kind, how much, and when the chocolate should be added?
    Thanks!

Leslie Loughnane says

Would your SMBC recipe be good for making buttercream flowers? I can’t stand the taste of the buttercreams that are stable enough to create flowers. I end up having to tell customers that the flowers are not the same as the rest of the frosting. Thank you in advance for a reply. I just discovered you from being on the Cake Blog.

hi, I made it last night. But it is too sweet for me. How can I cut down the sweetness now? I don’t want to throw it away? I followed your recipe and used 1/2 cup less sugar but it is still too much for me. Pls help.

Melissa says

I tried both ways while making my first wedding cake for a friend this summer, and while your method is certainly much easier on my mixer than beating for ages, it’s not QUITE the same as traditional Swiss meringue buttercream. I find that the finished frosting is slightly yellower and has less of that distinct “meringue” flavor to it. It wasn’t what I was wanted for the wedding cake, but I could certainly see myself using this method for other cakes in the future. Thanks so much for the interesting tip, and for all of your baking experiments!

Sujitha says

Hey I bumped into this recipe recently and thot of giving it a try….since my SMBC looks like ricotta cheese n not smooth and silky lately and I’ve got no reason why…..the only thing is I added d corn syrup along with sugar n egg whites n mixed it over a double boiler….is that ok?….will the buttercream come out well??…keeping my fingers crossed…. Lemme know

Oh it’s so great to finally see I’m not the only one making my buttercream this way! I’m tired of being told that I have to make the meringue or it wont work! And when I see people still playing with making italian meringue buttercream I just want to scream why are you doing this to yourselves people!!!
    So excited this is finally out in the open, and now when another bakers thinks I’m crazy I can say :
    ”go to the cake blog!and read… I’m not the only one!” love your post!

Susan says

I tried this yesterday and wow what a time saver! The consistency was perfect for icing and decorating a small 8 inch cake. My husband loved it but it’s just a tad too sweet for my taste. I am wondering… can I cut down a little on the sugar or add more butter to adjust for a less sweet buttercream?

I can’t believe this worked but I am so glad it did!I tried it a few times it worked wonderfully every time. The last time I did it I used our standard recipe but your cooking methods, 32 oz egg, 64 oz sug, 96 oz butter. First I microwaved and chilled the syrup, then whipped the butter and added the cool syrup and it worked like a charm. I did it again but this time I whipped the warm eggs to make the meringue and then added the butter and that also worked. Love love love this super time saving technique!

Iso Guerrero says

Hi, my question is regarding stability , I made Wedding cakes with Fondant , can I replace my regular SMBC with this version to put underneath the fondant ?????
    I live in Miami, very very hot weather .
    ISO

Irene says

I’ve just tried making this and I LOVE IT! You are a genius. Easy to make and taste great.
    I wonder if you can add cream cheese to it? To make a stable cream cheese frosting.
    Thank you.

Harriet says

Awk. I followed the recipe and the sugar/egg whites are now in the fridge cooling. But I can’t find anywhere in the recipe where it tells when to add the corn syrup. To the sugar/egg as it is heating, or with the cooled mixture as it is beaten into the butter?

IF it is covered in the comments above, I won’t see it as I’ve got too many things on my plate to go through them all.

Thanks!

charmbakes says

Hi Summer! Just discovered this site, and I am simply astounded by your recipe. Although I have made SMBC with no troubles, I just hate having extra yolks languishing in the fridge until I can figure out a use for them. I usually end up throwing them away because too much time has elapsed. I had a carton of egg whites which were headed toward the garbage when I saw this recipe. Amazing! Thank you so much. I am looking forward to keeping a carton of egg whites in the fridge and just whipping (ha!) up a batch of your SBC just because I feel like it. Thank you. Thank you.

Jenny says

I was hesitant to try this as I didn’t want to waste any ingredients…. Summer, this is the ONLY way I will make SMBC from now on!!!! 😀 I live in American Samoa (wee island in the South Pacific) and it works really well in our heat/humidity. It stands up a lot better than standard-method-made SMBC.
    Thanks! :)

Dennise says

I have used your technique and it worked perfectly I have several recipes for sugar free SMBC, using the traditional preparation method. Do you think that this would work with the xylitol instead of the sugar? I am having Easter dinner and plan to make a gluten free sugar free cake and wanted to make SMBC. If I test this recipe using the xylitol and send my results.

One thing I don’t love about my traditional SMBC is air bubbles, which can be especially frustrating when trying to get perfectly smooth cakes. Do you find that this recipe is denser with less air because there is no whipping?

Slim1one says

I am new to smbc and this method sounds very interesting. I have a small cupcake business that I operate from home and I am forever experimenting with new recipes. I have been baking for over 30 years and have always wanted to try smbc. Finally a couple of months ago I tried it for the first time using the recipe from Dorie Greenspan’s Perfect Party Cake which I followed to the letter. Well let me tell you it was the most divine icing I had ever made or eaten in my life! I am a convert. It was extremely stable and kept well for three days at room temperature. Everyone that tried it swooned over it. I had read that some people have a hard time with it but it worked perfectly for me and I’ve made it two more times since with the same results. I will definitely try your method to see what the difference is. Smbc in all its flavour variations has become my new obsession!

Benjamin says

I just tried this recipe… the buttercream definitely works, but the texture doesn’t seem to be exactly the same. It seems more butter-like and doesn’t adhere as well as the traditional method. Any tips?

Rona says

I tried this method but my mixture was just a gooey mess :( I used the microwave method, checking every 30 secs and stirring it. Did this for 2 mins and checked temp at 160F. After chilling the eggwhite syrup I did notice there was a foam that formed on top, should I remove that before adding to the butter? I also wasnt able to ‘beat til airy’ my butter as room temp was quite warm in Manila, 38C and it was kinda melting in my mixer. Anyway I will try this on a much cooler day and any tips or insights on how I could’ve made this a succes would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Lani Crumpton says

Ok, let me be the first to say- I am NOT a baker! I have a huge interest appreciation and love for this particular art; however, I haven’t baked a cake in years. I tried this recipe yesterday on a round two layer white cake and WOW! It could not have turned out any more perfect! I will be using this recipe for life. So proud of this cake! I wish I could post a picture.

Bonita says

I love to bake and use the SBC because I don’t like the taste of powered sugar. Before this post, I dreaded how long it took me to make the frosting. I really LOVE this method. I thought it would be time consuming, but it wasn’t. I’m definitely a fan.
    I do have two small questions: The frosting is a little too sweet for me. Can I reduce the amount of sugar? If so, will I need to adjust the amount of butter and egg whites.

Speaking of butter. My batch was a bit greasy. Wasn’t sure if I let my butter get too warm or if a pound of butter is too much? Any tips on reducing the greasy factor? Any idea of where I went wrong?

Maria Howard says

I just made this, I follow the instructions exactly and…. I LOVE IT!!!! my first time :)) I am sold!!! I have to bake a wedding cake soon, here in Arizona is too hot and I will use this recipe. The flavor is outstanding, even my husband like it ha! Thank you, thank you, thank you…