Make the Lemon Pound Cake:
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees. Generously grease and flour Bundt pan, coating every nook and cranny. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, cream cheese and sugar on medium speed 3 to 4 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Add the lemon extract and vanilla extract. Mix again to combine.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients while mixing. Mix until just combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Pour batter into pan and smooth out the top. Tap pan onto counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake 75 to 90 minutes until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. If the cake is getting too dark, tent the pan with aluminum foil.
- Let cool in pan for 10 to 15 minutes, then remove to wire rack to finish cooling completely.
Make the Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze:
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add lemon juice and salt. Mix to combine.
- Gradually add confectioners’ sugar. Mix and scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Whip on high until completely smooth with no visible lumps of cream cheese.
Make the Candied Lemon Slices:
- Wash lemons well and dry. Thinly slice into 1/8 inch thick slices and remove seeds.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water and sugar to a boil. Stir to help all sugar dissolve.
- Add lemon slices and reduce heat to low but maintain a simmer (not boiling). Cook, stirring occasionally, until slices are completely see-through, about 35 minutes or more (depending on how thinly you sliced the lemons).
- Using tongs, remove lemon slices and place onto a cookie pan lined with wax paper. Allow to cool slightly before placing pan into the refrigerator to cool completely.
- Once lemon slices are completely cool and set up, peel away from wax paper. Store in an airtight container, lined with more wax paper, in the refrigerator until ready to use. If layering slices in your container, place a piece of wax paper in between to prevent sticking and clumping.
Assemble the Cake:
- Once cake has completely cooled, place onto serving dish. Spoon frosting over the top, gently smoothing and allowing to flow over the sides. Refrigerate 30 minutes until the frosting is set.
- Garnish with candied lemon slices around the top.