Red Velvet Cupcakes
Red Velvet Cupcakes – super easy to make and stays moist for days, with a classic red velvet flavor and cream cheese frosting that’s perfect for Valentines Day.
- Yield: 12-14 Cupcakes 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Cupcakes
For the Red Velvet Cupcakes:
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ⅛ teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons natural unsweetened cocoa
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup buttermilk (or substitute with powdered buttermilk + water)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- ½ cup hot water
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Assorted Sprinkles and Edible Gold Stars, optional
Make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare a cupcake pan with liners.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa and salt to a large mixer bowl and combine. Set aside.
- Add the buttermilk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, eggs, vinegar and red food coloring to a medium sized bowl and combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and beat until well combined.
- Slowly add the hot water to the batter and mix on low speed until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to make sure everything is well combined.
- Fill the cupcake liners about half way and bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Remove the cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Make the Frosting:
- Combine the cream cheese and butter in a large mixer bowl and mix until smooth.
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes using a large open star tip. Top with assorted sprinkles and edible gold stars, if desired.
- Refrigerate cupcakes until ready to serve. Serve at room temperature.
- If using powdered buttermilk, follow directions on package to make ½ cup.
- If desired, you can omit the red food coloring.