Make the Hummingbird Cake:
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour three 8-inch round cake pans and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer (or hand mixer), beat together the oil and sugar. Add in the vanilla and eggs, one at a time. Stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl.
- With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredients in two batches.
- Add in the bananas, pineapple, and pecans. Mix on low until they being to combine with the batter. Stop the mixer and fold by hand until everything is evenly distributed.
- Evenly divide the batter between the prepared cake pans. Bake for 25 to 28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to rest on a wire rack for 10 to 20 minutes before removing the cakes from their pans. Cool completely before assembling.
Make the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Using an electric mixer (hand or stand), beat together the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add in the remaining ingredients, and mix on low until combined.
- Turn the mixer up to medium and let the frosting whip until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add more sugar or milk until desired consistency is achieved.
Assemble the Cake:
- Place one layer of cake onto serving plate or cake stand and top with about one cup of cream cheese frosting. Repeat with second cake layer, more frosting and then last layer of cake.
- If desired, tint remaining frosting a summery yellow and light orange. Frost the cake using both colors. Blend together by creating short strokes around the cake with a small offset spatula.
- Sprinkle a ring of white sugar pearls around the top edge, if desired.
- Store in refrigerator. Serve at room temperature.