Recipe: Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes

Our cupcake contributor, Lauren of Crave. Indulge. Satisfy, is back with a bright and summery recipe to start off the week…

When I think of summer, bright yellow lemons and sipping on a glass of fresh squeezed lemonade come to mind. I am a huge fan of lemons, and really all things sour.  As a kid I can remember spending summer days at our local pool and every afternoon I would visit the concession stand to order a frozen lemonade and a box of lemonheads to satisfy my sour cravings.  Still to this day I have those same cravings and welcome all things citrus and tangy during the hot summer months!  So with lemonade as the inspiration, I have created a Strawberry Lemonade Cupcake that I think you are going to love!
Strawberry Lemonade Cupcake Recipe

Strawberry Lemonade cupcakes are the perfect combination of both sour and sweet.  The moist lemony cake provides a nice tang, while the strawberry buttercream provides a touch of sweetness to balance out the flavors.  Not to mention I am loving the yellow and pink color combination of the cake and the icing, so fresh and fun!

Strawberry Lemonade Cupcake Recipe

Strawberry Lemonade Cupcake Recipe

And for extra cuteness, why not display these cupcakes in a jar embellished with a straw to mimic sipping lemonade from a mason jar! These triple layered cupcakes are the perfect portable treats for an afternoon picnic or would make adorable favors at a shower or birthday party. If you don’t want to fuss with assembling these cakes in jars no big deal, they are just as cute served as traditional cupcakes with a swirl of icing and topped with a lemon drop!

Strawberry Lemonade Cupcake Recipe

Strawberry Lemonade Cupcake Recipe

Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes
{makes 24 cupcakes or 16 cupcakes in a jar}

For the cake:

2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup lemonade powder mix (I used Country Time)
1 cup milk
3 Tbsp lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon)
1 Tbsp lemon zest (zest of 1 lemon)
1 tsp vanilla
lemonheads (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with cupcake liners
  2. In medium bowl mix together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, lemonade powder and lemon zest, set aside.
  3. In bowl of stand mixer cream butter and sugar on medium speed until combined.
  4. Add eggs, one at a time beating well after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
  5. Add the lemon juice and vanilla and mix well.
  6. Gradually add the dry ingredients and milk, alternating starting and ending with the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
  7. Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
  8. Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
  9. Let cupcakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire rack to finish cooling.
  10. Once cupcakes are completely cool, ice with Strawberry Lemon Frosting and garnish with a lemonhead on top.

For the frosting:

2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
4 cups confectioner’s sugar
3 Tbsp strawberry puree (from about 3-4 strawberries)
1 tsp lemon zest

1. In bowl of stand mixer cream butter for 1-2 minutes.
  2. Gradually add confectioner’s sugar and continue mixing scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
  3. Mix in strawberry puree and lemon zest.
  4. Place the icing in a piping bag fitted with tip 1M to decorate cupcakes.

To create a cupcake in a jar:

1. Slice cupcake in half with serrated knife. You will need one and a half cupcakes (3 pieces) for each jar.
  2. Place half a cupcake in the bottom of the jar and add a dollop of icing on top. Repeat two more times with cake and icing.
  3. Garnish with a lemonhead on top.
  4. For extra cuteness add a plastic straw.

I hope you enjoy this combination of sour & sweet!

Lauren Kapeluck , CONTRIBUTOR

Lauren is a monthly contributor for The Cake Blog. She is a self-taught baker and lover of all things sugar. Read more about Lauren on her bio page.

Learn Beautiful Cake Photography

Comments

Hey Ladies – Thanks for all the super sweet comments about these cupcakes!

Zoila: As far as the frosting holding up in the heat, I would try to keep them inside in the air conditioning up until right before serving. I live in hot and humid Mobile, AL and the icing did fine for me inside and kept its shape for several days. I never tried to take them outside though. I hope you enjoy them!

Traci says

Love the idea of this cupcake and I used to eat raw lemons growing up so I totally understand the craving. lol

I also love the lemonade in the mason jar with slices of strawberry and lemon. Too cute. May have to try that for my daughter’s butterfly garden party coming up next month.

Glad I found your blog.

Olivia says

Thank you for the lovely idea! I was in a time pinch so I made miniature cupcakes with a boxed lemon mix and topped them your strawberry frosting. Added a bit more powdered sugar to get it the stiff consistency I like and for it to better hold up during transport in the Texas heat. Topped with lemon peel curls. Turned out adorable and very yummy!

Hey Nicole Brown:
    Although I have not tried to make them in advance and refrigerate, I would say a day ahead of time would be fine. Or you could make the cupcakes a day early and keep in a tupperware container until you are ready to assemble and ice them. Hope this helps!

Lauren

AnneEvans says

I’ve made these as cupcakes many times and loved them.
    Today I tried in a 8″ round cake pan and the whole middle sunk. :(

any advice?

I made these today! They were really yummy but very very rich. Next time I won’t use as much butter. Otherwise everything worked out perfectly. I’ll probably use more lemonaide mix and lemon zest for fun!
    Thanks for the great recipe!

Christine says

Love this recipe, it sounds incredibly delicious!!!! One question though because I wanna make this for adults……..Could I add vodka to this recipe to make coktail cupcakes?

Joanne says

This looks awesome. I like in the UK and don’t get Lemonade powder mix…can i omit it out or will that change the batter?

So I made these for a youth party at church yesterday and made a mistake that I didn’t realize til I read the comments on this post. I didn’t have any country time lemonade but I had “Koolaide” lemonade mix. I initially thought it was pretty much an even exchange. Didn’t have enough for an even exchange so substituted it by half and got the most wonderful lemon cupcakes ever! The cupcakes were quite tart, not too tart but nice and lemony. After reading other comments of “hint of lemon” I new immediately I had made a mistake :) However, it was a glorious one. Thank you for this fabulous recipe! It is a keeper! They were so moist and perfectly dense. I thought I had died and gone to heaven!

Uooh, so cute!!
    I will make them tomorrow for a nice monday with friends and sweet cupcakes.
    And after I’ve read the answers to your recipes, I think it’s a very, very good idea : )

Alyssa says

I made these for my best friend’s birthday, and they turned out DELICIOUS! They were light, and not to tart, just right. And they turned out beyond adorable(: