Banana Choco Hazelnut Cake

Our contributor, Tessa Huff, is sharing a delightfully decadent cake recipe today…

It’s the peak of summer, and I am sure we are all starting to feel the heat.  You are most likely reaching for all your favorite frozen treats every afternoon.  One of my favorites is a frozen chocolate-dipped banana.  Yumm!  I’ve been seeing recipes for bite-sized varieties pop up on several of the desserts blogs lately, so I was inspired to make you all a cake version.

Banana Chocolate Hazelnut Cake | Recipe by Tessa Huff for TheCakeBlog.com

So this cake might not actually be frozen or super cool and refreshing, but it is extremely flavorful.  And fairly sinful.  So if you can’t beat the heat, then you might as well indulge.  If you are courageous enough to brave turning on the oven, then you deserve a slice of this rich and extremely moist cake.

Banana Chocolate Hazelnut Cake | Recipe by Tessa Huff for TheCakeBlog.com

Like the frozen treat, layers of banana cake are paired with dark chocolate.  To elevated this cake, I created a chocolate-hazelnut Nutella buttercream.  The buttercream was used in the filling as well as frosting.  Might as well send a spoonful straight to your mouth while you are at, it’s that good.  I’ve garnished the cake with chopped, toasted hazelnuts for added texture and extra crunch.  Serve with salted caramel sauce to tie it all together.

Banana Chocolate Hazelnut Cake | Recipe by Tessa Huff for TheCakeBlog.comBanana Chocolate Hazelnut Cake | Recipe by Tessa Huff for TheCakeBlog.comBanana Chocolate Hazelnut Cake | Recipe by Tessa Huff for TheCakeBlog.com

BANANA CHOCO HAZELNUT CAKE
a recipe by Tessa Huff

For the Banana Cake:

3 ripe bananas
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare two 6inch round pans – with sides at least 2 inches tall, set aside.
  2. Mash ripe bananas in a mixing bowl with a potato masher or fork and set aside.
  3. Sift together the dry ingredients and set aside.
  4. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter with a paddle attachment until smooth.
  5. Add in the sugar, and mix until light and fluffy.
  6. With the mixer on low, add in the vanilla and eggs – one at a time.
  7. Stop the mixer.  Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
  8. With the mixer on low, add in half of the dry ingredients.
  9. Mix in the yogurt or sour cream.
  10. Add in the remaining dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
  11. Fold in the mashed bananas until combined.
  12. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake until golden – about 22-25 minutes for the recommended size.
  13. Cool on a wire rack.
  14. Invert the cakes out of the pans once they are cool enough to handle.
  15. Cool completely before slicing each cake in half horizontally to create four layers of cake.

For the Chocolate Ganache:

8 ounces chocolate – about 65%
6 ounces heavy cream

Chop the chocolate and place in a heat-safe bowl.  Heat the cream over medium-low until it starts to simmer.  Be careful not the burn the cream!  Once it starts to come to a low simmer, pour over the chopped chocolate.  Let sit 30 seconds before whisking together until smooth.  Let cool before use.

For the Nutella Buttercream:

3 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup Nutella

1. Place egg whites and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer.  Whisk until combined.
  2. Fill a medium saucepan with a few inches of water and place over medium heat.
  3. Place the mixing bowl on top of the saucepan to cream a double-boiler.
  4. Heat, whisking occasionally, until the egg mixture is hot to the touch – about 140 degrees on a candy thermometer.
  5. Once hot, remove from heat and place bowl on mixer.
  6. Whisk on high until the bowl of the mixer becomes room temperature.
  7. Swap out the whisk attachment for the paddle.
  8. With the mixer on medium-low, add in the vanilla, butter, and Nutella.
  9. Once added, mix on medium-high until smooth.

To Assemble:

1. Slice cooled banana cakes in half, horizontally, to create four layers of cake.
  2. Spread a layer of ganache on top of the bottom layer of cake.  I prefer just a smear of ganache, as this cake gets rich fast.
  3. Add a layer of buttercream on top of the ganache.
  4. Place the second layer of cake on top of the buttercream and repeat.
  5. Ice with the remaining buttercream.
  6. Garnish with chopped, touted hazelnuts – if desired.
  7. Serve with salted caramel sauce!

*Banana cake recipe adapted from Confetti Cakes

Banana Chocolate Hazelnut Cake | Recipe by Tessa Huff for TheCakeBlog.com

Banana Chocolate Hazelnut Cake | Recipe by Tessa Huff for TheCakeBlog.com

YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY:
My Raspberry Earl Grey Cake
My Lemon Meringue Cake
My Orange Creamsicle Cake
My Raspberry Blood Orange Cake
My Rose Buttercream Cake

Tessa Huff , CONTRIBUTOR

Tessa Huff is a professional cake designer and lover of all things art and design. She particularly enjoys creating edible decorations, sugar flowers, and unique flavor pairings with fresh, seasonal flavors. Read more about Tessa on her bio page.

Comments

Jess says

I have never absolutely failed at a cake recipe as bad as I did making this one. Atleast it tasted kind of good..

I made a gluten-free and dairy-free version of this cake (http://wp.me/p3NqsZ-5r) and it turned out wonderfully! The flavor combination was wonderful, I got great feedback on it, and my uncle even ate it for breakfast the next day :) Thanks for the recipe!

Pin says

I loved the sound of this cake and made it on the weekend! Everything turned out great apart from the sponge itself! I took it out the oven and looked like it had risen, It then slowly sunk down into a compressed sponge whilst it was cooling. I couldn’t work out why? Any advise would be great!

The time recommended for the baking is about 30 minutes but it took about an hour. One of my cakes was solid, one fell apart. The hazelnut icing was a total fail. it was a syrupy, drippy mess. I was not happy. I think the author left something out. It’s not you. I am glad to find out yours was a mess too because its not my fault but a faulty recipe.

Monika says

hi, is there supposed to be some hazelnuts in the sponge or something? i can only see some hazelnuts on the outside of the cake for the whole recipe? Looks great!

Mrs. Baker says

I made this cake, following the recipe exactly. To prepare my cake pans, I sprayed them with Pam Baking Spray with flour in it, then lined the bottoms of the pans with a circle of baking parchment and sprayed it. My cakes fell right out of the pans, no issue. The cakes took much longer to bake than the recipe said; I just kept checking until a toothpick came out of the cake clean. I read a comment saying that the cakes would fall and become very dense; they did, but I was still able to use a wire cake cutter in a sawing motion to split the layers. The top edges became hard and crusty when cool, so I just used a sharp steak knife to trim them off, no sweat.This recipe made way more ganache than you need to apply a “smear” to each layer, I would recommend cutting it down to 2/3 or even 1/2, unless you want a ton left over. The Nutella frosting came out perfect, my husband and I were licking the bowl! Assembled, my cake looked almost just like the recipe’s picture, and my family enjoyed it very much; rich, moist, dense, delicious! If you refrigerate it, as I did, make sure you leave it out for an hour before serving. Thank you for a great recipe, Tessa Huff!

CW says

I’ve tried to make this cake twice, both times the buttercream icing has turned out super runny and I don’t know why or how to fix it. Any thoughts/suggestions?

This buttercream is meringue based, meaning you make a meringue first and then add the butter and flavorings.

You should have nice peaks after beating the egg and sugar mixture. Then it will ‘break’ and look runny or curdled when you add in the butter. Just keep mixing until it comes back together into a silky smooth texture. This can take 10 minutes sometimes!

If it is still too runny, it can be caused by the mixture being too hot. Simply refrigerate it for a few minutes to cool it off (but don’t let it get cold and set up into a solid). Then mix it again.

Hope this helps!

Cakes and kicks says

Thank you for sharing this . I made this cake yesterday for my mothers birthday and it turned out brilliant! Looked really professional- I used self raising flour instead and it rose beautifully!

Must say the directions to this recipe were a little mixed up and you really need to read it through a few times and have general knowledge of baking understanding that sugar is actually a wet ingredient !!

I don’t bake and I made the mistake of putting the sugar in with the dry ingredients. Then realised further down the recipe that is was meant to be creamed with the butter. The recipe isn’t very well written and the cooking time is far longer than stated in recipe.

Kris says

The recipe instructions are not well written. The sponge I made following these instructions very carefully were no where near as thick as shown in the image. For the amount of chocolate you would spread on the layers, which is very little, there is way too much chocolate mixture left over – bit of a waste. As for the buttercream, very difficult to use as an icing, I believe something to set the mixture so it can be used as an icing is a must, especially if making/serving on a warm day.I believe the image presented of the cake is a bit deceiving to be honest. Although the flavour combinations go nicely, I would make some alterations to the recipe to make it more practical. Unless you are a very experienced baker – my suggestion is to think about this cake carefully before making it.

Secil says

Hi Tessa,

I follow your pinterest as well as your Instagram account and adore your cakes as well as all the photos.

This one looks amazing too. oNE Question: How do you do the swirl pattern with the frosting on top of the cake? It looks so good but I can never find any tutorial on this type of technique. If you could describe it, I would appreciate it a lot.

Thanks.

Secil

Joyce says

The cakes are beautiful. However, I am more interested in the antique forks you photo the cakes with, especially the one with the banana choco hazelnut cake.. Do you know the maker and style of this fork. I am sure it is no longer available unless I get lucky in an antique store.

This looks amazing!! Found this from Cupcakes & Cashmere’s post and I will definitely have to try this recipe out.

xox

I made this cake and I fell in love with it. It’s amazing, it’s incredibly rich in flavors and it tastes like Heaven! Thank you so much for the recipe <3