Fluffy coconut cupcakes made with coconut milk and topped with smooth coconut buttercream and coconut flakes.
- Author: ellenJAY
- Yield: 24 cupcakes
- Skill Level: ✽ ✽ ✽
For the Coconut Cupcakes:
- 3 cups cake flour
- 4 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 ⅓ cups granulated sugar
- 5 large egg whites
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ cup sweetened shredded coconut flakes
For the Coconut Buttercream:
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 4 teaspoons coconut extract
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut flakes
Make the Coconut Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In medium bowl combine dry ingredients: cake flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl combine egg whites, milk and coconut milk.
- In bowl of stand mixer, beat butter and sugar on high for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the flour mixture until combined.
- Gradually add the egg mixture and beat until incorporated.
- Stir in the coconut flakes.
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.
- Allow cupcakes to cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
Make the Coconut Buttercream:
- Beat butter and coconut extract in bowl of stand mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes, until smooth.
- Reduce mixer speed to low, and slowly add in confectioners’ sugar 1 cup at a time while mixer is running and mix until smooth.
- Combine heavy cream and coconut milk and add to icing slowly while continuing to beat until smooth.
- Prepare a piping bag fitted with a large round tip and fill with frosting.
- Swirl coconut buttercream on top of cupcakes then dip upside down in the reserved coconut flakes to cover the tops and mound like a snowball.
Share your bakes with us on Instagram! Tag your photo with #thecakeblog
© THE CAKE BLOG. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.