Make the Coconut Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In medium bowl combine dry ingredients: cake flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl combine egg whites, milk and coconut milk.
- In bowl of stand mixer, beat butter and sugar on high for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the flour mixture until combined.
- Gradually add the egg mixture and beat until incorporated.
- Stir in the coconut flakes.
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.
- Allow cupcakes to cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
Make the Coconut Buttercream:
- Beat butter and coconut extract in bowl of stand mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes, until smooth.
- Reduce mixer speed to low, and slowly add in confectioners’ sugar 1 cup at a time while mixer is running and mix until smooth.
- Combine heavy cream and coconut milk and add to icing slowly while continuing to beat until smooth.
- Prepare a piping bag fitted with a large round tip and fill with frosting.
- Swirl coconut buttercream on top of cupcakes then dip upside down in the reserved coconut flakes to cover the tops and mound like a snowball.