Funfetti Cupcakes – easy homemade funfetti cupcake recipe, made from scratch, with sprinkles and fluffy vanilla buttercream frosting.
- Yield: 28 Cupcakes 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Cupcakes
For the Funfetti Cupcakes:
- 3 cups cake flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened, cut into cubes
- 5 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup rainbow jimmies sprinkles
For the Fluffy Vanilla Buttercream:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
- rainbow jimmies sprinkles
Make the Funfetti Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- In bowl of stand mixer combine all dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat for 2 minutes until well combined.
- Add butter a few cubes at a time beating on low until resembles coarse sand.
- Add egg whites and beat on medium speed until well combined.
- Add milk and vanilla and mix on medium speed 1-2 minutes until well combined, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
- Fold in rainbow jimmies.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
- Once cupcakes are completely cool frost with Fluffy Vanilla Buttercream.
Make the Fluffy Vanilla Buttercream:
- In bowl of stand mixer beat butter on medium speed for 4 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add confectioner’s sugar, vanilla and milk and beat on medium speed for 6 minutes, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
- Use an offset spatula to spread on desired amount of icing.
- Add rainbow jimmies to a bowl and dip the edge of your iced cupcake into the sprinkles and gently twist around in a circular motion until the edges are covered.