Funfetti Cupcakes – easy homemade funfetti cupcake recipe, made from scratch, with sprinkles and fluffy vanilla buttercream frosting. Created by our contributor, Lauren Kapeluck of EllenJay Events.
This month’s cupcake recipe can be summed up with one word: FUN! Inspired by some multi-colored cupcake wrappers and sprinkled inside and out with my favorite rainbow jimmies, we are venturing into the world of Funfetti Cupcakes today!
Just saying the word funfetti makes me happy and it brings so many things to mind: sprinkles, bright colors, parties, celebrations and birthdays, to name a few. As a child I can remember I always requested a funfetti cake for my birthday. You have to admit when browsing the baking isle at the grocery store the Funfetti cake box immediately pops out at you with the slice of white cake and colored sprinkles, doesn’t it? I’m pretty sure this cake is the reason for my sprinkle obsession today!
I have been wanting to create my own from scratch Funfetti recipe for awhile now and I’m so glad I finally did! I think I just found my new favorite cupcake! When creating this cupcake my goal was to keep things super simple with both the recipe and decorations. Afterall, when I was a child I didn’t know the first thing about cake baking and decorating unless it involved a box mix and a can of frosting. So I’ve created a basic white cake recipe and loaded it full of sprinkles for a fun burst of color!
To decorate I grabbed a spatula and slathered icing all over the top of the cupcake and rolled the edge in a bowl of sprinkles. No piping bag, decorating tip or fancy swirling technique required for this cupcake! I must admit, although I really like the look of a huge swirl of icing on top of cupcakes, I always end up throwing away almost all of it because its too sweet for me. I’m really not an icing girl but more a fan of the cake. So a light covering of icing on these cupcakes is absolutely perfect for my taste. They may not look as fancy but there is no doubt that they taste amazing!
So grab your apron and your favorite jar of sprinkles and and whip up a batch of these Funfetti Cupcakes today!Print
Funfetti Cupcakes – easy homemade funfetti cupcake recipe, made from scratch, with sprinkles and fluffy vanilla buttercream frosting.
- Yield: 28 Cupcakes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Cupcakes
For the Funfetti Cupcakes:
- 3 cups cake flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened, cut into cubes
- 5 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup rainbow jimmies sprinkles
For the Fluffy Vanilla Buttercream:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
- rainbow jimmies sprinkles
Make the Funfetti Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- In bowl of stand mixer combine all dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat for 2 minutes until well combined.
- Add butter a few cubes at a time beating on low until resembles coarse sand.
- Add egg whites and beat on medium speed until well combined.
- Add milk and vanilla and mix on medium speed 1-2 minutes until well combined, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
- Fold in rainbow jimmies.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
- Once cupcakes are completely cool frost with Fluffy Vanilla Buttercream.
Make the Fluffy Vanilla Buttercream:
- In bowl of stand mixer beat butter on medium speed for 4 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add confectioner’s sugar, vanilla and milk and beat on medium speed for 6 minutes, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
- Use an offset spatula to spread on desired amount of icing.
- Add rainbow jimmies to a bowl and dip the edge of your iced cupcake into the sprinkles and gently twist around in a circular motion until the edges are covered.