DIY : Rainbow Sprinkle Cake

Oh how I love sprinkle cakes!  These whimsical cakes are the ultimate treat for the ultimate sprinkle lover!  And I’m pretty positive you’re smitten with them too.  So I must warn you that today’s post might induce some squealing!  Kate Wagner of The Greedy Baker is sharing a fabulous sprinkle cake tutorial!  YES!  Step by step instructions and photos to help you create your very own sprinkle cake.  Kate’s method is super easy and most importantly nice and clean.  Packed with great tips and tricks to save you time and heartache… and spilled sprinkle mayhem!  The end result is one spectacular sprinkle cake!  It’s a DIY Rainbow Sprinkle Cake Tutorial!!

DIY Sprinkle Cake Tutorial  |  TheCakeBlog.com

DIY Sprinkle Cake Tutorial  |  TheCakeBlog.com

RAINBOW SPRINKLE CAKE
a DIY by Kate Wagner

Supplies:

• Cake
  • Buttercream Icing
  • Turntable or Lazy Susan
  • Angled Spatula
  • 2 Cardboard Cake Circles (Ideally the same size as your cake but no less than 1″ smaller and definitely not larger)
  • Cake lifter
  • Large Shallow Tray
  • Approx 1kg Rainbow Sprinkles
  • Spoon
  • Small Rice Bowl (or similar)

STEP 1: Begin with the cake you wish to cover and place it on a cake circle base.

STEP 2: Creating a nice crisp finish, coat the outsides of the cake with a reasonably thick layer of icing. Only coat the outside making sure to take the icing above the top rim of the cake.

STEP 3: Bring the icing into the center of the cake and remove excess. We are not looking to ice the top of the cake at this stage. Using the cake lifter, lift the cake off the turntable and chill in the freezer for 5 minutes.

STEP 4: While waiting for the cake to chill pour the Rainbow Sprinkles into a large shallow tray.

STEP 5: Remove the cake from the freezer and place the 2nd cake circle on top of the cake.

STEP 6: Using the cake lifter, lift the cake and gently lay on it’s side in the tray Sprinkles. Supporting the cake with your hands on either side, roll until you have an even layer of Sprinkles adhered to the Buttercream.

STEP 7: Place the cake back on the turntable.

STEP 8: Next blob a generous amount of Buttercream on top of the cake.

STEP 9: Smooth evenly with the angled spatula, removing any excess. Chill in the freezer for a further 5 minutes.

STEP 10: Upturn the small bowl and place in the center of the Sprinkle tray.

STEP 11: Remove cake from freezer and place on top of the upturned bowl, being careful to balance the cake correctly.

STEP 12: Spoon a large amount of Sprinkles on top of the cake and smooth around to edges using the angled spatula, pressing gently as you go to make sure they adhere to the Buttercream.

STEP 13: Neaten up any missed areas around the edge using the spoon and spatula as shown.

STEP 14: Admire your finished cake! This fun cake is sure to brighten up any day.

If you are feeling adventurous why not create 2 or more tiers and finish with some bright ribbon and a gumpaste rainbow for a super cheerful effect!

VENDORS & CREDITS
Tutorial : The Greedy Baker

Comments

Taralee says

Thats fantastic, I have a feeling your making it look easy!! Dont suppose you want to share you buttercream recipe?!
    Will give this one a go for sure.

Nancy L says

What a fantastic looking cake! I’d love to see an picture of a slice with all the colored layers and the sprinkled outside! Just amazing!

Amanda says

Oh WOW!!!! I love it! To me sprinkles are the glitter of the cake world and I love both! Thanks so much for sharing! I can’t wait to try this!!!

Gemma Smith says

Ooh I was going to make one of these for my daughter birthday. I had bought 400gms of sprinkles which cost £12 do I really need 1kg that’s going to cost a fortune!

Heather says

I buy my sprinkles bulk for $10 a kilo. Normally I’ would only get a 100g for that much. It pays to shop around. Check out where bakeries and cafes get their supplies. Often these places are open to the public if they knew about it.

Thank you for sharing this beautiful cake idea. My grandson loves sprinkles and always chooses his cookies or donuts w/sprinkles. He will be 17 yrs old this coming February and he has had a lot of awesome cakes created by his mom and me but this one will take the cake. Thanks again, Dorma

Wow! This is awesome! It’s my daughters birthday in a couple of weeks and if I made this she would LOVE it! Will definately have a go. (might have to go and buy more sprinkles though!).

Julie says

OMG — What a fun, beautiful cake. It just makes you happy! What a wonderful tutorial. I can not wait to use your method. I have used sprinkles before and it was such a task to get the sides “sprinkled” and this looks so much easier and a much better application! Thank you so so much for sharing. I would also like to see a cut slice. I love tutorials and you are so nice to share. Thank you again.

Anna says

I’m a fairly basic cook so I don’t have a clue on how you have produced this amazing cake. Is it possible for you to provide instructions and a method? Thanks.

Love this. It reminds me of a rainbow cake I did too. I’m just curious if you’d share your cake recipe. Is it a pound cake? My cake recipe, although delicious and strong enough for my regular cakes, would fall apart if I rolled it on its side.

I first saw the 100’s and 1000’s cake on pinterest though never knew how to get them to look so neat. You step by step photos and explanations is awesome! I will have to give it a go!

Sandra R. says

When you turn the cake layers sideways to roll them in the sprinkles, don’t the layers slip slide around?

Jenn Cornelius says

Thank you for this great tutorial! I am using your post as inspiration for my daughter’s birthday cake next week. I hope my cake turns out as beautiful as yours.

Angie says

So I made this for a friends daughter’s sweet sixteen very time consuming but fun. Just an fyi to any that attempt this do not use whipped cream frosting as the cake will fall apart when you try to roll it through the sprinkles. Birthday girl loved it though.

kat says

Hi there, could this be prepared the day before do you think or would the colours of the sprinkles run into the icing?

Looks totally amazing though! LOVE it!

Bonnie Sandler says

Is there a photo somewhere where we can see what this fantastic rainbow cake looks like after its been cut?

Bonnie Sandler
    Cupertino, CA

Hi there great blog! Does running a blog similar
    to this take a lot of work? I’ve no expertise in programming however I had been hoping to start my own blog in the near future. Anyway, if you have any ideas or tips for new blog owners please share. I understand this is off topic however I just needed to ask. Appreciate it!

Shannen says

Ex-pastry chef here. Cute way of doing it, but you do risk the layers coming apart during rolling. An easier way of doing this without having to tip the cake at all is ice the entire thing top to bottom, set the cake up like it is on step 11 on an oversized pan, using an old cardboard paper towel tube taped up at one end and snipped at an angle at the other end and full of sprinkles. You use your fingers to control the flow of sprinkles, and you may have to return the fallen sprinkles into the cardboard tube a few times, so just move the cake out of the way and dump the sprinkles back into the tube. Lining the oversized collection pan with a placemat or similar cloth will make that part easy as pie.

linda crane says

love all the cakes glad you shared I really am going to enjoy making these. you are so creative thanks for sharing

Annette says

Thanks for great cake. I made it now referring to your tutorial and so easy took longer to make the rainbow cake
    Thanks

JPA says

I made this today for my daughter’s birthday and followed your instructions. It turned out perfectly! I impressed a bunch of unimpressible 11 year olds.Thanks so much for the tutorial!

I’m not sure if I commented before or not, but even if I did, I have to say – its still one of the most gorgeous cake I’ve ever seen!

GALA says

Baking it this weekend! I just was wondering, do you think it will freeze well? I have to bake it and decorate it on thursday to serve it on sunday ( I know you can freeze a frosted cake) but how about a sprinkled cake? Are they going to survive? or do you think they will bleed and mess up the sprinkled look?

Orsi says

Thanks a million for sharing. I made it for Easter for my (huge) family. Impossible to eat up :)
    It takes many hours but you are the hero of the day, so it is a good investment. Great helpful description, thanks again :)