Our contributor, Tessa Huff, is back with a new summer cake recipe….
It’s not summer time without backyard BBQ’s, impromptu picnics, and lazy afternoons by the pool. With warm weather rolling in, I just want to stretch out on a blanket, feel the grass under my feet, and relax all my worries away over good food with great friends. I may not have a backyard to barbecue in, but that won’t stop me from spending endless hours at the park overlooking the crisp waters of the Pacific Northwest. I am a strong believer that no get together is complete with out dessert, so I have developed this fresh, rustic cake to bring to any casual, summer gathering.
When summer fruits hit their peak, the juicy, sweetness makes for the most refreshing desserts. From peaches to watermelon, all of this season’s new crop of produce is popping up everywhere, inspiring new treats and flavor pairings. I’ve always loved the juiciness and tartness of cherries, and look forward to seeing them every summer.
For this recipe, I decided to pair cherries with golden gooseberries. Gooseberries are similarly sweet and tart, and look so bright and sunny paired with bright red cherries. The colors are so beautiful and mouth-watering, you won’t even want to cover them up with icing! This fresh fruit cake with simple almond cream is as easy-going as the long summer nights that we all live for.
FRESH CHERRY CAKE
a recipe by Tessa Huff
(makes 3 X 8″ rounds; 4 X 6″ rounds; or 1 half sheet cake)
Vanilla Butter Cake
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
6 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or pure vanilla extract
3 cups cake flour
1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare baking pans- set side. Sift dry ingredients- set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter with the paddle attachment until soft.
- Add in sugar, and continue to cream with the butter until pale and fluffy.
- With the mixer on medium-low, add in the vanilla and eggs, one at a time. Once combined, stop the mixer and scrape down the bottom of the bowl.
- Starting and ending the the dry ingredients, alternate the dry and milk with the mixer of medium-low. Be sure to scrape the bowl between additions and be careful not to over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake until done. Baking with vary with different sized pans.
Almond Whipped Cream
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon almond extract
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Place cream in a bowl of an electric mixer. Using the whisk attachment, beat the cream of medium-high until soft peaks form.
- Add remaining ingredients and continue to mix of high until medium-stiff peaks form. Be careful not to over mix.
- Remove stems and pits from your favorite cherries; slice in to halves. Reserve a handful or so whole berries for the top of the cake.
- Slice gooseberries in to halves
- Place whipped cream in a piping bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe swirls around a cake round and fill in the center.
- Layer chopped berries on top of piped cream. Top with another cake round and repeat.
- Top the last layer with a mound of whole berries.
I hope you enjoy this Vanilla Butter Cake with Fresh Cherries and Gooseberries!