Today I’ve partnered with Chobani to bring you a new fall recipe.
Today’s cake is unapologetically uncomplicated. As we inch closer and closer to the holiday season, our calendars start bursting at the seams with special occasions and reasons to celebrate. There are so many opportunities to bake and sometimes you need a go-to recipe that is effortless, yet still elegant enough to be shared. That’s where today’s recipe quietly chimes in, as an everyday cake that looks anything but. Natural. Rustic. And perfectly simple.
We’re starting with a butter cake infused with warm notes of cinnamon and nutmeg. These traditional fall flavors are paired with the creamy tang of Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt and the sweetness of local honey. If you’ve never tried Greek yogurt in your baking, it adds moisture and a balanced flavor to this recipe that you will absolutely love. To finish, juicy-ripe plums are sliced and placed on top of the cake batter before baking. Arranged in a circular pattern around the edge, in alternating slices up and then down, the plums create a petal effect that takes our cake up a notch.
When it bakes up, little slivers of plum peek out from a golden crust while the tender cake below is speckled with bits of cinnamon and nutmeg. Beautiful enough to serve without icing, all it needs is a little dollop of whipped yogurt in the very middle. Whipped yogurt, you ask? Yes, whipped yogurt!
Whipped yogurt is much like whipped cream, only lighter and tangier. You can vary the proportions but the concept is simple. Whisk together Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt with cream and a touch of something sweet – sugar, honey or stevia. The end result is a grown up whipped cream, with a complex flavor that works beautifully with this cake. As an extra bonus, the yogurt helps to stabilize the cream, giving you nice soft peaks that hold their shape longer. So dab on a spoonful or two of this tangy-sweet cloud and grab a fork. Because we’re going in!
SPICED PLUM CAKE WITH WHIPPED YOGURT
a recipe by Carrie Sellman
For the Spiced Plum Cake:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
1/2 cup Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
3-4 ripe plums, cut into half-inch slices, peels on
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and lightly flour one 9″ round pan.
- In medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In small bowl, mix together the yogurt, honey and vanilla. Set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed 4 minutes until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Gradually add the dry and wet ingredients, alternating, starting and ending with dry ingredients. Mix until just combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Pour batter into the 9″ round pan and smooth with spatula.
- Arrange plum slices in a circle around the edge of the pan, alternating a slice facing up and then down. Push down on each slice just enough to keep it upright. Make a second circle of slices in the middle to complete.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 5 to 10 minutes, then remove to wire rack to finish cooling.
For the Whipped Yogurt
3/4 cup Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar
Combine yogurt, cream and sugar in the bowl of a mixer. Beat until mixture thickens and soft peaks form. Spoon on top of cake and individual slices when serving. Sprinkle with extra cinnamon, if desired.
This post was sponsored by Chobani. All opinions expressed are 100% mine.
Recipe and photography by Carrie Sellman for TheCakeBlog.com.