Pumpkin Cupcakes

Our contributor, Lauren Kapeluck of EllenJay Events, is sharing a new classic!  Add this pumpkin recipe to your fall baking list….

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, it’s the perfect time to start thinking about a special dessert to accompany your big turkey feast!  During the fall my pantry is always stocked full of pumpkin as my go to ingredient.  I have about 12 cans on hand right now!  Pumpkin is such a great ingredient that can be used in a variety of recipes.  So this year, why not branch out from the standard pumpkin pie or pumpkin bread and mix up a batch of Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting.  I guarantee all of your turkey day guests will just gobble these right up!

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting | by Lauren Kapeluck for TheCakeBlog.com

These pumpkin cupcakes are smacked full of fall flavors featuring cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.  The cupcakes are paired with a cinnamon cream cheese frosting which is the perfect compliment to the cinnamon flavor in the cakes. I guarantee you won’t just be eating one of these at a time. After all, Thanksgiving is a time to indulge in all your favorite foods…so save room for dessert!

If you are worried about having too many things to whip up for your holiday meal, these cupcakes are super moist and can be made a day ahead of time. I do recommend waiting to make the icing until the day you plan to serve.  I love how you can see the specs of cinnamon throughout the icing, not to mention the taste is amazing!  I hope you are inspired to try these Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese this year!

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting

1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
  2. In large bowl combine dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
  3. In bowl of stand mixer cream butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until creamy.
  4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  5. Add dry ingredients and milk, alternating until well combined. Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.
  6. Mix in pumpkin puree.
  7. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter.
  8. Bake for 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
  9. Let cupcakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
  10. Once cupcakes are completely cool frost with Cinnamon Cream Cheese icing.

For the icing:
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
4 cups confectioner’s sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon

1. In bowl of stand mixer beat butter and cream cheese on medium speed until well combined.
  2. Gradually add in confectioner’s sugar one cup at a time, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
  3. Add vanilla and cinnamon and mix until combined.
  4. Place icing in piping bag fitted with a large round tip and frost cupcakes.

Try my Caramel Corn Cupcakes next.
Caramel cake with caramel frosting and caramel corn topping!

Caramel Corn Cupcakes | caramel cake, caramel frosting, caramel corn topping | by Lauren Kapeluck for TheCakeBlog.com

And my Apple Pie Cupcakes are perfect for fall.
Apple cake with an apple pie filling and brown sugar cinnamon frosting!

Apple Pie Cupcakes | apple cupcakes with apple pie filling and brown sugar cinnamon frosting | by Lauren Kapeluck for TheCakeBlog.com

And definitely give my Honey Cupcakes a try!
Honey cupcakes with honey cream cheese frosting.

Honey Cupcakes with Honey Cream Cheese Frosting | by Lauren Kapeluck for TheCakeBlog.com

Lauren Kapeluck , CONTRIBUTOR

Lauren is a monthly contributor for The Cake Blog. She is a self-taught baker and lover of all things sugar. Read more about Lauren on her bio page.

Learn Beautiful Cake Photography

Comments

stacy says

I made these cupcakes for everyone the other day and they loved them! I will be making them for Thanksgiving this year and every year after!

Elizabeth says

These were such a hit at Thanksgiving!! Even my hubby that doesn’t really care of pumpkin devoured a ton of them!! I used buttermilk instead of regular milk and they were sooooo moist!!! Definitely making these again!!

Jessica says

These look amazing! I’m wondering how much each stick of butter measures? 1 cup? 1/2 cup for each stick? Thanks!

Kerri says

These were amazing! I made these for an office carry-in and they were a hit! Many requests for the recipe… I’ll be making these again for sure! Thank you!

Michelle says

I just made these for my family. They were a huge hit! The cupcakes were moist and the frosting was delicious!! Thanks for sharing. I will be making these for years to come :)

DK says

Hi Lauren :)

Would like to try this recipe but don’t have pumpkin in can.

1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree can I make it from fresh pumpkin? If yes, then is cooked or fresh better?

Thanks :

Just made these cupcakes with my grand daughter. They were fantastic!!! she never likes anything and ate two right away… This will become our holiday recipe to make every year. Thank you for blessing us with this new tasty tradition…
    Dianna

SaraB says

I just made these today and they are delicious! Mine took a bit longer to bake, but that could have been because I had multiple pans in the oven. They were soft and delicious, and the icing just makes them. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe; it’s a keeper for sure!

Kim says

Love this recipe and want to make this for a halloween weekend but how much are the cups in this recipe? I live in the Netherlands so I have no idea how many gramms a cup is?

Alisa says

I just made these cupcakes tonight and they are amazing! My family loved them and they were very impressed! My only question is about the icing? My icing turned out a little bit runny and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to fix that!
    Would love to hear some feedback! :)

Your icing could have been runny due to the butter and cream cheese being too soft. Simply pop your bowl into the refrigerator to let it chill and set up some before piping onto the cupcakes.

Another solution is to add a little bit more confectioners sugar to thicken it to your liking.

Tammi says

I have made these cupcakes 2 x now, and each time the comments were: “Best cupcake I ever ate” “I don’t like pumpkin or cinnamon, but these are amazing” “Very Moist”. These are definitely going in my little black cook book. They are a little work, but well worth the effort. You will NOT be disappointed.

ImABeers1 says

Has anyone tried making these using a hand mixer instead of a stand mixer? Also, is pumpkin purée the same thing as canned pumpkin? I’ve had these exact cupcakes (made by a friend) and they’re SUPER YUMMY AND MOIST! And the icing takes the cake!!

Kelly says

I just made these and they are delicious!! I love the pumpkin flavor with the cream cheese. It reminded me of a pumpkin roll dessert. Yummy!! Thank you for the recipe!

Maddy says

THIS IS THE BEST RECIPE EVER! PERFECT COMBINATION OF SUGAR, SPICE, AND PUMKIN! THE CUPCAKES ARE THE BEST THINGS EVVVEEERRRRRR!! GO MAKE THEM RIGHT NOW. LAUREN IS A GENIUS

Emma says

…these were DELICIOUS! definitely my best baking feat to date. Everybody loved them (I served them at a thanksgiving party last night). Thanks for the recipe!

Lettie says

Delicious! Thank you for sharing. My family loved them. Do you think I could make a 9×13 cake with this recipe next time instead of cupcakes?