Recipe: Honey Cupcakes with Honey Cream Cheese

Hello Cake Blog readers.  It’s Lauren from EllenJay Events.  I want to start off first by thanking Carrie for asking me to be a part of her amazingly gorgeous and always inspiring cake blog!  I am honored to be a new contributor on The Cake Blog and look forward to sharing many great cupcake recipes and photos with you monthly!   Today I am sharing my first cupcake creation to kick off summer, Honey Cupcakes with Honey Cream Cheese Frosting!

Honey Cupcakes by Lauren Kapeluck  |  TheCakeBlog.com

The star ingredient is fresh local honey that I picked up at our local farmer’s market a few weeks ago.  While my husband and I were scoping out all the vendors we were quickly persuaded to sample some fresh honey.  After one taste of a sweet wild flower honey I was sold and quickly purchased a mason jar full!  Honey is an ingredient I always keep on hand (usually in the shape of the honey bear) to add some sweetness to smoothies, corn bread, a bowl of oatmeal, homemade granola bars or even dog biscuits for my black lab.  Everything tastes better with a little honey right?  All it took was one spoonful of honey and I was inspired to create a honey cupcake that I hope you are going to love!

Honey Cupcakes by Lauren Kapeluck  |  TheCakeBlog.com

Before we jump right to the recipe, I wanted to share with you some basic tools I use all the time when making cupcakes.  I find that using a standard size ice cream scoop with a release mechanism is very helpful when filling the cupcake liners and making uniform sized cupcakes.  I picked up my scoop at a grocery store a few years ago for just a few dollars and it is one of my absolute favorite kitchen gadgets!  When it comes time to decorating cupcakes I absolutely love using a large round piping tip to create a tall swirly design like on these cupcakes!  Don’t have a piping tip, just scoop your icing into a large zip lock bag, snip off one bottom corner and start swirling away!

Honey Cupcakes by Lauren Kapeluck  |  TheCakeBlog.com

Just looking at these cupcakes makes me happy!  These little cakes are extra special because you get a double pop of honey in both the cake and frosting!  Add some sugar sprinkles on top and you’ve got a vibrant sweet that is perfect for those bright summery days!  Honey Cupcakes would be the perfect addition to a summer picnic or family reunion.  You could even add some fresh lemon juice or zest for an extra punch of flavor!  Don’t let summer pass you by without giving this recipe a try!

Honey Cupcakes by Lauren Kapeluck  |  TheCakeBlog.com

HONEY CUPCAKES WITH HONEY CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
a recipe by Lauren Kapeluck
{makes 1 dozen cupcakes}

For the cake:

1 stick butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
  2. In medium bowl mix together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
  3. In small bowl mix together wet ingredients: buttermilk, honey and vanilla, set aside.
  4. In bowl of stand mixer cream butter and sugar on medium speed until combined.
  5. Add eggs, one at a time beating well after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
  6. Gradually add the dry and wet ingredients, alternating starting and ending with dry ingredients and mix until combined.
  7. Using ice cream scoop fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
  8. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
  9. Let cupcakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire rack to finish cooling.
  10. Once cupcakes are completely cool, ice with Honey Cream Cheese Frosting.

For the frosting:

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
4 oz cream cheese, softened
3 cups confectioner’s sugar
3 Tbsp honey
yellow food coloring (optional)
yellow sugar sprinkles

1. In bowl of stand mixer cream butter and cream cheese until combined.
  2. Gradually add confectioner’s sugar and continue to mixing scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
  3. Mix in honey.
  4. If desired add a few drops of yellow food coloring to slightly tint the icing.
  5. Place the icing in a piping bag fitted with a round decorating tip and swirl the frosting on top of the cupcake going in a circular motion.
  6. Add some yellow sugar sprinkles and enjoy!

These cupcakes are amazingly delicious and absolutely scream summer time!  Enjoy!

Lauren Kapeluck , CONTRIBUTOR

Lauren is a monthly contributor for The Cake Blog. She is a self-taught baker and lover of all things sugar. Read more about Lauren on her bio page.

Learn Beautiful Cake Photography

Comments

They look perfect! I too picked up some raw local honey at my Farmers Market and have been looking for something great to make with it besides honey butter for my cornbread muffins! Printing your recipe now! Thanks!

They look delicious! Can you tell me what tip you used? I have been trying to find a large circular tip, but haven’t had any luck locally and need to order it online.

Linda says

Congratulations on your first post and being a contributor. Your presentation was great. The cupcakes look so refreshing. I am waiting for your next post.

Those look delicious! And that cream cheese frosting looks amazing. I can never get mine to turn out like that. Thanks for the recipe!

Thanks again Carrie for asking me to be a Half Baked contributor! I had a blast creating this recipe!

Trish: I used a large round tip, either Wilton 1A or Ateco 806 will work, I have both of them. You can order them online! I had a hard time finding them in my local stores too.

And thanks to everyone else for all the sweet comments!

Jenn says

These look so delicious! And thanks for noting which tip you used for the frosting. Looking forward to more posts.

Emily says

Congratulations, Lauren, on your first post! Looking forward to reading many more of your exciting recipes. Great pictures, too!

Sharon says

Welcome Lauren! Looking forward to more fab recipes from you. I’m not opposed to eating cupcakes for breakfast either. ;)

Brenda says

tried to make some but its pretty guwy in the middle, Im guessing its not ment to be like that?

Brenda

Jeannette says

I made 4 dozen of these cupcakes for my daughter’s “Pooh” themed baby shower and they were a huge hit!!! I had to bake them longer than what the recipe said to get the inside to cook properly, but they were so yummy and think my pregnant daughter ate 4 of them before I even had them frosted!!!

Sarah says

Delicious! I just baked these cupcakes for my sister-in-law’s bayBEE shower. A unique flavor that’s not too rich. Perfect for the theme of our event. Thanks for sharing!

I just made these and WOW!!! I used a different frosting recipe (Made these on a whim, working with what I had on hand) but the cupcake itself is AWESOME. My favorite part of baking is eating a warm cupcake, fresh out of the oven, with butter… and these are PERFECT for that. So good.

Megan says

Let me first start off by saying that I am not an experienced baker…at all! But I found your directions very, very helpful. I found this site via pinterest because I was looking for cupcake recipes to make for my son’s first birthday. I saw these, thought they sounded amazing and decided to do a trial run. They are the most amazing cupcakes I have ever tried! I will definetely be using this recipe for the party and many, many other events im sure! Thank you so very much for posting this!

I doubled the recipe making a dozen jumbo cupcakes and baked them at 325 for 28 minutes. worked great!

Shay says

I made these cupcakes for my 3yr old’s bumblebee birthday party and they were a huge hit. They turned out so pretty and people talked about them for weeks. I made the cupcakes ahead of time and froze them and then the day of the party frosted. They were moist and fluffy and the best icing I had ever eaten. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe :)

Norma says

These cupcakes look yummy! I will certainly try them out. Was wondering if this recipe can be made for a cake?

Jenna says

Oh my stars! I made these cupcakes for a baby shower and they turned out so pretty. The icing is to die for! Thank you so much for posting this terrific recipe. I stuck to the recipe exactly :)

ALEJANDRA says

Hi! i’m from Chile and I loved this recipe…. can’t wait to try it, but for that, I need to know how many grams is one stick of butter.
    Thankyou!!!!

Linda havird says

I cooked these the other day and they were so dry and crumbly. I was very disappointed that I wasted very good honey on these.

Monica says

These are fantastic! Although, I found the frosting waayyy too sweet. In my opinion, you don’t need 3 C of sugar for some frosting. The cake though, is delicious. I do add a bit more honey to the cake as well as the frosting – the more honey the better! :)

Dee says

I just made these cupcakes and they are FANTASTIC!!! Thanks for the recipe! I will definitely be making these again! I did want to ask though, do I need to refrigerate these to keep them overnight or will they be okay to be at room temperature?

Vanessa Willis says

THANK YOU so much for this recipe! They are hands down the best thing I’ve ever baked and that’s a high compliment because I bake a few times a week. So easy, so delicious. THANK YOU!

Vanessa Willis says

Linda – Did you have the butter at room temp or melted? Melted butter can cause crumbly cupcakes. Also, did you overbake them? When I make cupcakes I preheat to 350. When I put them down I immediately decrease the temp to 325. This is an old baker’s trick – they rise so much better this way. You get rounded tops instead of flat. Also, I check them a few minutes before the recommended bake time because my oven runs hot. For these I baked at 325 for 18 mins and they came out beautifully! I made three dozen.