DIY: Speckled Egg Cake

It might not feel like it, with cold air and snow still hanging around, but Spring is just around the corner.  Before you know it, the first buds of green will be popping up on tree branches.  Birds will be chirping.  Flowers will be blooming.  And Easter will be on the way!  So today we’re getting ready with a new cake tutorial that is all about Spring!  Inspired by the gorgeous color and texture of robins’ eggs, this cake is super easy and incredibly fun.  And completely achievable for all levels of bakers, to include your favorite little egg-hunters.  It’s a DIY Speckled Easter Egg Cake tutorial and I hope you enjoy it!

The original Speckled Egg Cake! Learn how to make this springy Easter cake with a step-by-step tutorial | by Carrie Sellman for TheCakeBlog.com

Before we get started on the very scientific speckling technique, let’s talk about the cake itself.  I used a Classic Vanilla Cake recipe and baked it as four layers.  You can bake your cakes several days in advance and either freeze them or keep them in the refrigerator.  Being a mom to a little one means my windows of time are quite short.  So on Day #1, I baked the cake and made the eggs.  Day #2, I made a batch of basic buttercream icing (recipe here).  Day #3, I assembled and decorated the cake.  You, by no means, have to follow my extra prolonged, toddler-approved schedule.  But if needed, you can certainly spread this project out over several days.

Now, let’s talk about the eggs!  There are several ways you could go about making these eggs.  You can use an egg-shaped candy mold to create white chocolate eggs, colored appropriately.  You can use real eggs that are hard boiled (or blown out) and then dyed. {Please do not use raw eggs… that is just asking for trouble.}  You can shape eggs out of fondant or gumpaste.  Or you can simply purchase any speckled candy eggs that you like.  Whichever route you pick, this is your first step in decorating. Your overall color scheme starts with your eggs!

Now, let’s get to the speckling!  This project is incredibly fun AND slightly messy.  But the mess makes it fun, right?  You will absolutely get cocoa splatters on your counter, and yes, probably even your floor.  I found a few stray spots even on my refrigerator.  Hence the wax paper for your work surface and paper towels for clean up.  So please please consider this your official warning.  This is not the project for your favorite apron.  But I am happy to report that my kitchen was clean with just a few paper towels.  And my apron washed up just fine.  Now that you’ve read the disclosures… let’s get to it!

SPECKLED EGG CAKE
a DIY by Carrie Sellman

Supplies

• cake of choice, assembled and crumb-coated
  • buttercream icing
  • food coloring
  • 1 T cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 T vanilla extract
  • clean paintbrush
  • wax paper
  • paper towels, for clean up
  • speckled eggs

STEP 1:  Color your buttercream frosting with a few drops of food coloring.  I used 2-3 drops of Americolor Sky Blue gel.  When tinting buttercream, I like to add one drop of color at a time until I reach the right shade.  If you’ve ever ruined a batch of icing before, you already know the benefit of adding color gradually.  And when in doubt, I like to error on the light side.  Buttercream naturally darkens slightly as it sets.

STEP 2:  Frost your assembled and crumb-coated cake with your pretty blue buttercream.  Smooth and shape to your liking.  It does not have to be perfect.  We’re about to splatter it up!

STEP 3:  In a small bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder with 1 1/2 tablespoons of vanilla extract.  Stir well until cocoa is completely dissolved and you have a thin, chocolate paint.

STEP 4:  Cover your work area with wax paper.  Lightly dip your new (or totally clean, never used for paint) paintbrush into the chocolate.  Holding the paint brush with one hand, gently flick the bristles with your other index finger to splatter the chocolate paint.  Practice first onto your wax paper until you get the hang of it.  No need to move on to the cake until you master the flick.  When you’re ready to start speckling, hold the paintbrush fairly close to the cake and start splattering.

NOTE: A little chocolate paint goes a long way.  So dip your brush lightly.  If your paintbrush becomes ‘clogged’ with paint and is no longer splattering nicely, rinse it with water.  Dry with a paper towel.  And start again.

STEP 5:  Keep splattering away!  Move up, down and all around to completely cover the cake.

NOTE:  As you work, you will undoubtedly get a splatter that is bigger than you would prefer.  Or accidentally get carried away and bump the cake with your paintbrush.  (Don’t ask me how I know this!)  You have two options here.  Either embrace the imperfections and let it go.  Or wipe it off quickly with a light dab of water and paper towel.  Then go back to speckling.  If you look closely, you can see where I wiped one of my oh-no-it’s-too-big splatters.  Left-middle.  Not too bad of a correction and I think it adds to the speckled egg charm.

STEP 6:  Now that you have the hang of splattering, you’ll also speckle the eggs you previously made.  While you wait for the cake and the eggs to dry, now is a good time to wipe off any stray splatters on your cake pedestal.  Once both the eggs and the cake are completely dry, arrange eggs on top of cake.  Use a dab of buttercream to hold them exactly where you want them.

STEP 7:  Cut, eat and enjoy!

Find more cake recipes, projects and DIYs in our Easter Gallery.

Easter Cake Projects and Recipes on TheCakeBlog.com

Comments

JoJo says

Amazing!!! Question…will this technique work on italian meringue buttercream? It’s the only buttercream I ever use you see…

Eraina says

Such an easy finish to achieve, but the look is absolutely contemporary and stunning. Thanks for the tips.

Jessica says

I love this cake and can’t wait to try it! What did you use for food coloring? The color is so vibrant!

Thank you so much for this information on this fabulous cake…. I really want to give that a go!!! stunning clean edges too :)

hrmajsty says

I would like to suggest cutting one side only from a large cardboard box and, with the open side facing you, placing your cake inside the box on a lazy susan to do the spatter painting.

Thanks, great suggestion! I was not that organized or prepared for the splatters. But in reality, it all wipes up pretty easily.

One of my very favorite cakes Carrie!! It’s gorgeous!! LOVE it so very much!! Thanks for sharing and for inspiring the buh-gee-beez out of me!! *wink*

Catherine says

Hello Carrie, this cake is amazing!! I’ll definitely be trying this for Easter! Thank you. Can I ask you about the cake you used? I just love the orange flecks and how it appears slightly dense which is what I love in a cake. Thank you for posting frosting recipe!!

Thank you Tanya.

I try to smooth the icing as much as possible with a large offset spatula. Then touch it up again with a smaller offset spatula, that I heat up by dunking into hot water (and wipe dry with a towel). Hope that helps!

june2 says

Mmmm…so much Spring! I think it will be lemon cake with orange buttercream filling. The blue can be vanilla flavored. It’s done!

Jenny says

Just made this cake for my Dad’s birthday party. It was a showstopper! I used Trader Joe’s vanilla cake mix with strawberry jam for the filling, so a pretty inside, too. I’d love to know where you got your cake pans. I love that size and haven’t found it yet!

Thank you!!

So glad you gave it a try Jenny!

I used 8″ round pans for this cake. I like Magic Line pans but any 8″ round will work.

Lisa H. says

This is AWESOME!! I may have to give it a try :) Thanks for the unique Idea…I thought maybe you had crushed up oreo cookies and used that to make the dark flecks in the frosting. Cool!!

Patti says

I would lvoe to make this for my daughters birthday in 2 weeks. She wants a red velvet cake and wants the cream cheese frosting. Do you think this will work with that frosting as it doesn’t set up as firm as buttercream?

sophie says

I love this cake the tetuxed look along with the bold color make it pretty enough not to eat….good job!

Jyll says

After seeing your post, I made a speckled cake for a family birthday party and it was a hit! I blew out some blue-green eggs and speckled them in the same way I did the cake. The speckles on the real egg were delicate but worked beautifully. I tinted my cake frosting yellow and the overall effect with the speckles was just lovely. Thanks for the post!

Steph says

Great Idea! I want to make this but do not have a good vanilla cake recipe. Can you share the one you used please? :)

Kristen says

I would love to know how you made the eggs. Did you use a form? How did you dye them? Also I would love to know what kind of cake and filling you used since I love the color combo!

Linae Tabor says

This is an awesome cake! I can’t wait to make one!

Thanks for the tutorial!

And with words! Thank you for that!

I see alot of tutorials that just confuse me and since they never have a WRITTEN explanation of what to do, I just don’t bother.

Linae

Ann says

Love the cake! I’m planning a birthday cake for a very special friend in April and I think I’ll try this one. she loves her backyard friends.

Betty Johnson says

I am so happy I found the cake I’m going to try for Easter this year!!! SO cute! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Kathy Hayes says

Have used your speckling technique with acrylic paints…..never dreamed you could use it on icing!!! Definitely will try!!! Thanks for the info!

Michelle staab says

I would LOVE to make this for Easter on Sunday!! Can I ask what color or how you dyed your eggs?? Also wondering what color you did the filling for the cake? Is it the se frosting recipie?

Thanks!!

Maureen says

SO beautiful and perfect for Easter!
    Question: Cake of choice, assembled and crumb coated…
    What is crumb coated? Or, how does one accomplish this?

Maureen

Patricia says

This is one of the prettiest cakes I have ever seen! That blue is striking! The speckles really send it over the top though!

Jessica says

I’m new here! How do I crumb coat a cake? This is SOOO beautiful. I’m going to use his technique for my daughters birthday cake!

Laura says

I am still new to cake making and decorating and have been having lots of fun practicing. My question to you is, can the same results be achieved by using a cream cheese frosting on the Speckled Egg cake? I was going to make this for Easter and use a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.

Scott says

I love this cake, it is beautiful! When speckling or using any type of messy/ hard to clean decorative ingredient, I set the item to be decorated in an cardboard box on the plate stand, and also use dampened paper towels. The cardboard box is easily thrown away after the cake is completed, and the paper towel make for an easy clean up as most of the mess sticks and can just be thrown away!

Dawn Balsamo says

Made this for Easter this year. Everyone loved it! However, I found that using a new unused, firm toothbrush worked better for me than an unused paintbrush to get the speckles.