Our contributor, Lauren of Crave. Indulge. Satisfy., is back with a delicious new recipe….
It might only be May but the ice cream man has been driving down my street for well over a month now. Every time I hear his musical truck all I can think about are drumsticks, ice cream sandwiches and popsicles. It reminds me that the warm weather is here to stay and it’s time to start stocking my freezer full of cool summer treats! So thank you Mr. Ice Cream Man for inspiring me to create these Creamsicle Cupcakes based off of one of my all time favorite popsicle treats.
I took a shortcut with this recipe and used a vanilla box mix as the base, but don’t worry it is packed full of all kinds of orange citrus goodness that you won’t be able to tell once you take a bite. Orange juice and orange zest are used in both the cake and cream cheese icing which really creates a lovely refreshing citrus taste. These cupcakes are really moist and super light, so don’t be surprised if you find yourself eating more than one at a time.
To decorate I wanted to mimic the traditional Creamsicle popsicle so I used an apple corer to remove the center of the cupcake and added a white cream cheese filling. Orange cream cheese frosting was swirled on top and then one more dollop of white cream cheese icing was added to the center.
These cupcakes would be perfect for a summer pool party or a citrus theme birthday bash. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream along side and you’ve got one yummy treat!
recipe by Lauren Kapeluck
For the cake:
1 box white cake mix (prepared as package directs, substitute 1/4 cup orange juice in place of water)
1 3oz box Orange gelatin
1 tsp orange extract
1 tsp orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- In bowl of stand mixer combine all ingredients.
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes until well combined. Scrape sides of bowl as necessary.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
- Once cupcakes are completely cool, hollow out the center using an apple corer.
- Fill centers with white cream cheese filling.
- Frost cupcakes with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting.
For the icing:
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 8oz block of cream cheese, softened
5 cups confectioner’s sugar
1 tsp orange extract
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp orange zest
orange food coloring
- In bowl of stand mixer beat butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add in confectioner’s sugar 1 cup at a time and beat well, scraping down sides of bowl.
- Add extracts and mix well for about 2 minutes.
- Reserve 1 cup of icing to be used as white cream center filling for cupcakes.
- Add orange zest and tint remaining icing with orange food coloring until you reach desired color.
- Place white and orange cream cheese icings into piping bags fitted with large round tips.
- Use orange cream cheese frosting and swirl around the center of the cupcake two times. Fill the inside of the swirl with a dollop of white cream cheese frosting.
I hope you all enjoy these Creamsicle cupcakes!