Recipe: Creamsicle Cupcakes

Our contributor, Lauren Kapeluck of EllenJay Events, is back with a delicious new recipe….

It might only be May but the ice cream man has been driving down my street for well over a month now.  Every time I hear his musical truck all I can think about are drumsticks, ice cream sandwiches and popsicles.  It reminds me that the warm weather is here to stay and it’s time to start stocking my freezer full of cool summer treats!  So thank you Mr. Ice Cream Man for inspiring me to create these Creamsicle Cupcakes based off of one of my all time favorite popsicle treats.

Creamsicle Cupcake Recipe by Lauren Kapeluck   |  TheCakeBlog.com

I took a shortcut with this recipe and used a vanilla box mix as the base, but don’t worry it is packed full of all kinds of orange citrus goodness that you won’t be able to tell once you take a bite.  Orange juice and orange zest are used in both the cake and cream cheese icing which really creates a lovely refreshing citrus taste.  These cupcakes are really moist and super light, so don’t be surprised if you find yourself eating more than one at a time.

Creamsicle Cupcake Recipe by Lauren Kapeluck   |  TheCakeBlog.com

To decorate I wanted to mimic the traditional Creamsicle popsicle so I used an apple corer to remove the center of the cupcake and added a white cream cheese filling. Orange cream cheese frosting was swirled on top and then one more dollop of white cream cheese icing was added to the center.

Creamsicle Cupcake Recipe by Lauren Kapeluck   |  TheCakeBlog.com

These cupcakes would be perfect for a summer pool party or a citrus theme birthday bash.  Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream along side and you’ve got one yummy treat!

Creamsicle Cupcake Recipe by Lauren Kapeluck   |  TheCakeBlog.com

CREAMSICLE CUPCAKES
recipe by Lauren Kapeluck
(makes 24)

For the cake:

1 box white cake mix (prepared as package directs, substitute 1/4 cup orange juice in place of water)
1 3oz box Orange gelatin
1 tsp orange extract
1 tsp orange zest

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
  2. In bowl of stand mixer combine all ingredients.
  3. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes until well combined. Scrape sides of bowl as necessary.
  4. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter.
  5. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
  6. Let cupcakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
  7. Once cupcakes are completely cool, hollow out the center using an apple corer.
  8. Fill centers with white cream cheese filling.
  9. Frost cupcakes with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting.

For the icing:

2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 8oz block of cream cheese, softened
5 cups confectioner’s sugar
1 tsp orange extract
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp orange zest
orange food coloring

1. In bowl of stand mixer beat butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy.
  2. Gradually add in confectioner’s sugar 1 cup at a time and beat well, scraping down sides of bowl.
  3. Add extracts and mix well for about 2 minutes.
  4. Reserve 1 cup of icing to be used as white cream center filling for cupcakes.
  5. Add orange zest and tint remaining icing with orange food coloring until you reach desired color.
  6. Place white and orange cream cheese icings into piping bags fitted with large round tips.
  7. Use orange cream cheese frosting and swirl around the center of the cupcake two times. Fill the inside of the swirl with a dollop of white cream cheese frosting.

Creamsicle Cupcake Recipe by Lauren Kapeluck   |  TheCakeBlog.com

I hope you all enjoy these Creamsicle cupcakes!

Lauren Kapeluck , CONTRIBUTOR

Lauren is a monthly contributor for The Cake Blog. She is a self-taught baker and lover of all things sugar. Read more about Lauren on her bio page.

Online Cake Decorating Class

Comments

Carla says

Please, can you tell me if the substitution of 1/4 cup of orange juice is to replace the total amount of water, or if it is a partial amount along with the remaining amount of water? Thanks so much. I can’t wait to make these!

The orange juice substitution is only to replace 1/4 cup of the water with orange juice, you still need to use the remaining amount of water that the box calls for. The box mix I used called for 1 1/4 cups water so I used 1/4 cup orange juice and 1 cup of water.

Sorry for the confusion ladies and hope you enjoy these cupcakes!

kaisha says

These sound so yummy and would perfectly match the colors for my son’s 1st bday party! Where did you find the little flags in them?

Rosemary says

The flags are hand made with colored tape. Just wrap the tape around around tooth pick and cut a flag shape at the end.

kaisha says

Oh whoops, I just looked at the pictures again, what a cute idea!! I guess I should be asking where did you find that adorable tape??

Desiree says

I just had the same issue. I mixed according to the box and for some reason believed the other 3 things, gelatin, zest and extract were for the frosting…now I’m getting ready to mix the frosting and realized I didn’t use the gelatin. Bummer…all the cupcakes are already cooked without gelatin, zest and extract.

Yes, they are best kept in the refrigerator due to the cream cheese icing. Best enjoyed at room temperature.

Lauren adds the orange gelatin at step #2 for the cake. Happy Baking!

In bowl of stand mixer combine all ingredients.

Desiree says

L. Chapman says

I made these for my great-granddaughter’s 2nd Birth!day party, & people are still raving about them! They were some of the best I’ve ever tasted! Will be making these again!

Colleen says

After digging out from under a total of about 2 ft of snow (with more on the way) we could all use some summer and since that is months away, I will be making these to at least bring part of the daydream to life! Thank you for sharing!!!

Jessie lauver says

HOW do I print this recipe WHERE is the print it button! I love orange cream anything!
    milkshakes, doughnuts…..

Stephanie says

These look delicious! I am thinking this would make a great bundt-type cake instead of cupcakes. I would just omit the filling piece and ice the cake with the orange, cream-cheese frosting. Would that work? Thanks!

Elizabeth says

Omg you’re so rude. Sorry, but I read the other comments until I got to yours. She stated in a previous comment about the water/oj. Take the time to read before making a comment :) would have saved you the trouble and 24 “crappy” cupcakes.

shannon says

Do you think i a whipped cream frosting would be good with these instead of the creme cheese? I dont mind cream cheese frosting but would prefer another option if possoble.
    These cupcakes look delicious!
    Thanks for taking the time to respond :)