Red Velvet Cupcakes – super easy to make and stays moist for days, with a classic red velvet flavor and cream cheese frosting that’s perfect for Valentine’s Day. A new cupcake recipe by our contributor, Lindsay Conchar.
I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty sure Valentine’s Day was created as a way for sweets lovers to have an excuse to destroy everyone’s New Year’s Resolution and get them back in the treat game. I mean think about it – for the whole month of January you may have totally crushed your new commitment to eating well and here comes Valentine’s Day with its chocolate, sweethearts and dinner dates. Well played, sweet lovers. Well played. ☺
Of course I’m of the belief that everything is good in moderation. If you’ve survived so far, you actually deserve a cupcake. It’s true. And what’s better than a classic Red Velvet Cupcake with Cream Cheese Frosting? Few things – especially at Valentine’s Day.
One of the best things about these cupcakes are the easy of putting them together. Unlike many of my cupcakes, there’s no creaming involved. Instead this recipe uses oil and it provides a wonderfully moist cupcake that stays delicious for several days. Perfect for sharing with friends whom you want to shower some cupcake love all over.
It also uses fairly straightforward ingredients that you likely already have. The only exception might be the buttermilk, but I’ve got a secret for you. If you’ve never heard of powdered buttermilk, you have to check it out. It’s literally a powder that you add to batter, along with water, and its buttermilk. The powder can stay in its container in the fridge for months and still be good. No longer do you have to use a small amount from a big jug and throw the rest away. Plus, then you always have it on hand. Brilliant!
The method is quite simple. Combine the dry ingredients, then the wet ingredients (minus the hot water), combine them, then add the hot water. So easy, right?!
And the cream cheese frosting is one of my favorites! The perfect pair for red velvet. So classic, so delicious, so perfect for Valentine’s Day.
RED VELVET CUPCAKES
a cupcake recipe by Lindsay Conchar
(makes 12-14 cupcakes)
For the Cupcakes:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/8 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons natural unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 teaspoon white vinegar
2 teaspoons red food coloring
1/2 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare a cupcake pan with liners.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa and salt to a large mixer bowl and combine. Set aside.
- Add the buttermilk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, eggs, vinegar and red food coloring to a medium sized bowl and combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and beat until well combined.
- Slowly add the hot water to the batter and mix on low speed until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to make sure everything is well combined.
- Fill the cupcake liners about half way and bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Remove the cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 oounces cream cheese, room temperature
6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
4 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Assorted Sprinkles and Edible Gold Stars, optional
- Combine the cream cheese and butter in a large mixer bowl and mix until smooth.
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes using a large open star tip. Top with assorted sprinkles and edible gold stars, if desired. Refrigerate cupcakes until ready to serve. Serve at room temperature.
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY:
Chocolate Strawberry Cupcakes
Champagne & Raspberry Cupcakes
Chocolate Turtle Cupcakes
Red Velvet Cupcakes with Pink Ombre Ruffles
Red Velvet Cake
Find more recipes and tutorials in our Valentine’s Day Gallery!