Our contributor, Lauren Kapeluck of EllenJay Events, is sharing an easy s’mores cupcake recipe! Chocolate cupcakes with marshmallow frosting, graham cracker crumbs and hunks of milk chocolate.
This month’s cupcake recipe was inspired after a recent camping trip my husband and I took to celebrate our 5 year anniversary! We pitched a tent, started a fire and roasted marshmallows to create the perfect camping treat…S’mores! I can’t think of a better way to enjoy a night outside under the stars than with this gooey, sticky and messy sandwich cookie. So I transformed this graham cracker, marshmallow and chocolate combination into a s’mores cupcake that is super easy with no roasting involved.
The base of the cupcake is a simple one-bowl chocolate cake. Who doesn’t love a chocolate cupcake? The S’mores factor comes into play with the marshmallow frosting and graham cracker garnish. Instead of using actual marshmallows in this recipe I decided on a jar of marshmallow cream, which creates a light and fluffy texture. This icing is not overly sweet and pairs nicely with the chocolate and graham crackers. Top off the cupcake with a chocolate square from a chocolate bar and you have the ultimate s’mores in cake form!
S’more cupcakes are the pefect treat for a picnic or camping themed party. They are low maintenance and super easy to make so grab your kids and get them involved. I guarantee they will love being your graham cracker crushers and dipping the cupcakes into the crumbs.
a recipe by Lauren Kapeluck
(makes 30 cupcakes)
For the Chocolate Cupcakes:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup hot water
1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- In bowl of stand mixer combine dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients: eggs, milk, oil, water and vanilla to the dry ingredients. With mixer on medium speed mix for about 2 minutes scrapping down sides of the bowl as needed. (The batter will be very liquidy, but that is ok.)
- Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full. (I use a 4-cup measuring cup with a pour spout to transfer the batter to the cupcake liners so it is easier to control and less mess.)
- Bake for 16-17 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
- Once cupcakes are completely cool, ice with Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting and garnish with graham crackers and chocolate.
For the Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting:
8 ounces unsalted butter, softened
7 ounces marshmallow cream
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In bowl of stand mixer cream butter for 1-2 minutes.
- Add marshmallow cream and mix until incorporated.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Place icing in a piping bag fitted with large round tip (I used 1A) and add a dollop of icing on top of cupcakes.
For the garnish:
1/2 cup crushed graham cracker crumbs
3 milk chocolate bars, broken into squares
- Place graham crackers in zip lock bag and crush with your hands until fine crumbs.
- Take frosted cupcakes and turn upside down into bowl of graham cracker crumbs to cover the frosting.
- Place a chocolate square on top of each cupcake.
NOTE: S’mores Cupcakes are best enjoyed on the day they are baked and assembled as the graham cracker crumbs will get a little soft over time.
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY:
S’mores Layer Cake
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip S’mores Cookies
S’more Coffee Cake
Open Face Heart S’mores
Leprechaun Hat S’mores