Our contributor, Lauren Kapeluck of EllenJay Events, is back with a delicious new recipe….
Go pour yourself a tall glass of milk because today we’re making Mint Cookies ‘N Cream Cupcakes! This recipe is super simple and doesn’t require a ton of ingredients. The base of the cake starts with a chocolate box mix, which I’m sure most everyone has on hand in their pantry just in case you need to whip up a cake in a pinch. Add a few extra ingredients to the mix and you’ve got yourself a cake that tastes like its from scratch! I always keep a few box cakes on hand just in case I want to save the extra time and measuring of all those ingredients when making a cake. And if you make the frosting from scratch I guarantee know one will even know the cake was from a box…it can be our little secret!
The fun thing about chocolate sandwich cookies are that they are just the right size to sneak into the bottom of your cupcake liners before adding your cake batter. The cake bakes up perfectly leaving the cookie at the bottom of the wrapper so it is completely hidden. It is not until someone takes a bite into the cupcake do they discover the surprise of the cream-filled cookie inside and that extra burst of color from the green mint! I must say these go over great with the kids…it’s like they found a hidden treasure inside their cake!
MINT COOKIES ‘N CREAM CUPCAKES
recipe by Lauren Kapeluck
(makes 24 cupcakes)
For the Chocolate Cupcakes:
1 box Devils Food Cake Mix
1 small box (3.9oz) Chocolate Instant Pudding
1 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup milk
24 mint chocolate sandwich cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- Place one cookie in the bottom of each cupcake liner.
- In medium bowl combine cake mix, chocolate pudding, vegetable oil, milk and eggs.
- Beat with electric mixer until incorporated and then continue mixing 1-2 minutes.
- Scoop batter over top of cookies in cupcake liner.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
- Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
For the Mint Cookies ‘N Cream Frosting:
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup vegetable shortening
6 cups confectioner’s sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon mint extract
green food coloring
12 mint chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed
- In bowl of stand mixer, beat butter and vegetable shortening until creamy.
- Gradually add in confectioner’s sugar one cup at a time, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Add mint extract and a few drops of green food coloring to tint to desired color.
- Mix in crushed cookies.
- Place icing in piping bag and snip off tip to create a large hole. Swirl icing on top of cupcakes.
- Garnish cupcakes with one cookie on top, if desired.