Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes – moist chocolate cupcakes topped with fluffy strawberry cream cheese frosting and a drizzle of chocolate ganache. A delicious Valentine’s Day recipe by our contributor Lauren Kapeluck of EllenJay Events.
Valentine’s Day will be here very soon so it’s only appropriate to share a recipe that just screams chocolate and strawberries, and well, more chocolate! After all, I’m pretty sure chocolate covered strawberries are a major Valentine’s staple that never disappoints. So why not take that signature dessert and turn it into a cupcake flavor. Get ready to drool over these Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes.
I’ve been envisioning how to create this recipe for a while now and initially was thinking about a strawberry cake covered in chocolate ganache. But then I came to my senses and realized this is a month truly devoted to all things chocolate. So the more chocolate the better in this recipe, and decided on a chocolate cake instead. Trust me, you will thank me for this extra layer of chocolate once you sink your teeth into these babies.
These cupcakes start with my go to chocolate cake recipe, that makes the most moist, delicious and addictive treat. A ruffled mound of strawberry cream cheese frosting is then piped on followed by a drizzle of chocolate ganache. At this point these cupcakes look and taste pretty fabulous, but we can’t forget the signature chocolate covered strawberry on top. Now this is what you call one sweet, indulgent and decadent Valentine’s treat!
I will warn you that this fancy cupcake does get a little messy once you try to tackle it. So you may want to go in with a fork or be prepared to come away with some chocolate ganache all over your lips! I hope you all enjoy this recipe and have a sweet Valentine’s Day!
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes
- Yield: 28 Cupcakes 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Cupcake
For the Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ¼ cups sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
For the Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 12 ounce cream cheese, block style, softened
- 5 tablespoons strawberry puree (from ¾ cup frozen strawberries)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 6 cups confectioners’ sugar
For the Chocolate Ganache:
- 1 ⅓ cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the Chocolate Covered Strawberries:
- 28 Strawberries
- 12 oz Dark Chocolate Melting Wafers
Make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- In large bowl combine all dry ingredients: flour , sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk until well combined.
- Add oil and sour cream and mix together with whisk.
- Gradually add water and continue to whisk.
- Add vanilla and eggs and whisk until combined.
- Fill cupcake lines 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 16 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
- Once cupcakes are completely cool frost with Strawberry Cream Cheese and Chocolate Ganache.
Make the Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In bowl of stand mixer combine butter and cream cheese and beat on medium speed until creamy.
- Add strawberry puree and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Gradually add confectioner’s sugar 2 cups at a time and mix until well combined.
- Place frosting in piping bag fitted with Wilton tip 2D. Hold piping bag straight above cupcake and squeeze and wiggle piping bag slightly and pull straight up to create the ruffled look.
- Place cupcakes in refrigerator for about 15 minutes to let the frosting set up.
Make the Chocolate Ganache
- Place heavy cream and corn syrup in saucepan and heat over medium-high heat just until simmering.
- Put chocolate chips in bowl.
- Pour cream over top of chocolate chips and let sit 5 minutes, do not stir.
- Once chocolate begins to melt, stir mixture until chocolate is completely smooth.
- Allow chocolate to cool and firm up a little bit before drizzling over top of cupcakes.
Make the Chocolate Covered Strawberries:
- Line baking sheet with wax paper.
- Wash and completely dry strawberries.
- Place Dark Chocolate Melting Wafers in bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals stirring after each, for about 1 and a half minutes, until chocolate is smooth.
- Dip strawberries in melted chocolate so they are about 3/4 the way covered. Place strawberries on prepared baking sheet.
- Once all strawberries are dipped place in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes to allow chocolate to set.
- Add Chocolate Covered Strawberries on top of cupcakes.
- Keep cupcakes stored in air tight container in refrigerator until ready to enjoy.
MORE VALENTINE’S DAY CUPCAKE RECIPES:
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Champagne Raspberry Cupcakes
Love Bug Cupcakes
Strawberry Nutella Cupcakes
Pink Ruffle Cupcakes